• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech plastic clamps or Real metal ones?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NGL_BrSH

I got my ultra swiftech kit and i'm installing tonight but i looked at the plastic clamps that came with it.. and they seem.. ok.. but for 5 bucks i'm sure i could pick up the metal hose clamps that you turn the screw and they tighten down.. advantage / disadvantage to using them or no?

I only use the automotive metal worm style clamps. The only bad thing is they bite into the tubing leaving marks, but you will not have a hose come off or leak from the hose / barb connection with them. I highly recommend using them.

nikhsub1 said:
I only use the automotive metal worm style clamps. The only bad thing is they bite into the tubing leaving marks, but you will not have a hose come off or leak from the hose / barb connection with them. I highly recommend using them.

I like these too, the nylon ones look like you couldn't get them tight enough. I screw my clamps down til I can see the tubing squirting out the holes. Can'e be too careful.

Mcmaster.com
Part number: 5415K32
Fits: 1/2" TO 29/32" CLAMP ID RANGE
10 in a pack
5.57USD

EDIT: Cheaper then the ones above, yet same clamps.

awesome guys..thanks for your input.. On my lunch break i went to home depot and bought some metal ones for like .80c a piece fit 3/8- 7/8 hoses. I guess i better be careful not to over tighten though so i don't break the barbs.

I wrap my tubes with a little electrical tape where I'm putting a clamp on.
It lets me tighten them the way I want without cutting the tubing at all.

I used to use plastic clamps and I to used pliars to tighten them all the way. Worked pretty good.

Anyone use the clamps that you see used in car engines for the hoses? The ones where you pinch with pliers to loosen and you let go to clamp/tighten. Sorry that's the only way I know how to describe them.

Crispy said:
Anyone use the clamps that you see used in car engines for the hoses? The ones where you pinch with pliers to loosen and you let go to clamp/tighten. Sorry that's the only way I know how to describe them.

from my experience and working on cars I would stay away from the type of clamps you are refering to. First, they can be a huge pain to get off and on. Second, they typically dont provide as much clamping force as the worm hose clamps do...

The best worm drive clamps on earth are the "Type 430 Stainless Steel Nonperforated Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps" on p. 213 from mcmaster. They are smooth lined and don't cut into tubing, and are 3/8" wide so they fit perfectly on any barb. You can tighten them down to your hearts content. I forget how I discovered them, but they are worth every cent and cost about the same as what you pay in a hardware store for the regular clamps. I have 1/2" ID 3/4"OD tubing and use 5076K13 1/2"-3/4" clamps and they work wonderfully.

Back