• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first WC system..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ankun

Ok. Heres a small rundown of my first WC system that was just turned on under water approx 5 mins ago.

Apogee BLock
D5 pump
BIP3 rad
2x evercool aluminum fans (lol.. i'll explain that later)

before idle temp:
28C - 242 * 10 @ 1.33 real vcore
(with zalman 7000 alcu)

now:
23C Idle..
this is before AS5 has cured of course.. not too shabby temp IMO. Hope to get it a bit closer to ambient eventually though.

I'll update more later along with a full suite of temps / oc results.

Hehe Pics will come eventually. I need to get my digicam from my gf.. its supposadly broken though. Hopefully I can figure out whats up with it :p

BTW CURSE these fans.. they are huge. Larger than 120mm. Hence me not using 3x on my BIP3.. one is sitting on my desk :\

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.. I really dont want to go without my comp for a few days while I return these and get something else.. I also dont want to spend the money for new fans right now.. heh.

edit: been dual priming / folding since my first post.. max temp is 31C.

Setup is in sig..

currently sitting at:

270 * 10
1.55 vcore
idle - 26C
load - 38C

not too bad IMO..

Core1 fails prime always... core2 runs for ages... I'll try to get things stable. Was having problems with PWMIC and my chipset getting too hot.. but I've done a few things that should possibly help that. (now that I check them..) actually it hasnt really been helped much. PWMIC is hitting 50C.. was getting up toward 60 though so I guess its better. Chipset is at 40C.. not too bad I guess. I'm assuming the PWMIC temp is so high less because of a lack of airflow and more the fact that i've got way more volts running through it.

I'll keep screwing around.. prolly gonna wait a few days for a direct comparison to my old setup. Let the AS5 cure.

sounds like everything is working great for you man. Get that digi fixed and post some pictures. I can't wait to do my WCing setup this weekend...
For the PWMIC I would put a fan over the top of it and it should help (if you haven't done so already), but 50*c is not bad on it.
When you going to WC that vid card? I dont get why the evercool fans dont all fit, my front one fits perfect in its 120mm slo.

Ankun said:
currently sitting at:

270 * 10
1.55 vcore
idle - 26C
load - 38C

not too bad IMO..

Core1 fails prime always... core2 runs for ages... I'll try to get things stable. Was having problems with PWMIC and my chipset getting too hot.. but I've done a few things that should possibly help that. (now that I check them..) actually it hasnt really been helped much. PWMIC is hitting 50C.. was getting up toward 60 though so I guess its better. Chipset is at 40C.. not too bad I guess. I'm assuming the PWMIC temp is so high less because of a lack of airflow and more the fact that i've got way more volts running through it.

I'll keep screwing around.. prolly gonna wait a few days for a direct comparison to my old setup. Let the AS5 cure.

I've noticed that people who have trouble with one core specifically often do much better if they remove heatspreader. Seems the spreader sometimes makes better contact with one core than the other, causing one to overheat without really showing an overheat occuring. I wouldn't worry too much about cracking your core as long as you're careful -- people have dented their heat sinks without so much as leaving a mark on the core, so as long as you aren't banging them together you should be fine.

Trios

idk.. I had problems fitting it in my front slot too.. Figured I'd slap it down there rather than waste it.

I didnt cool the card cause.. it lets out like no heat. the heatsink isnt even too warm to the touch most of the time. Only a geforce 6200.. its passively cooled too.

I was really suprised by my temps.. from seeing what most people tend to get, etc. Along with the fact that my temps were pretty good to begin with.

GL with your setup.

I hope everything is thought out well, I can tell you right now.. if I could do it all over again i'd of done just about everything diff, lol.

edit: didnt see the other post above this one :)

I *tried* removing the IHS on monday.. no luck. I went around the corners carefully with a razor blade for at least 20 minutes or so.. all sorts of things. I'd heard you should try to penetrate the corners first then work your way in.. that didtn work either. I guess my razorblade was too thick or something... I just couldnt get in more than 1 or 2 MM on any part of the IHS :\

Last edited:
Ankun said:
GL with your setup.

I hope everything is thought out well, I can tell you right now.. if I could do it all over again i'd of done just about everything diff, lol.

Thanks for the luck, since its my first setup im sure ill need it. I am curious what all different things you would have done? I am going to run a swiftech mcw6002-64, DD maze4gpu, D5 pump, BIP2 radiator.

custom90gt said:
Thanks for the luck, since its my first setup im sure ill need it. I am curious what all different things you would have done? I am going to run a swiftech mcw6002-64, DD maze4gpu, D5 pump, BIP2 radiator.

well it isnt so much the parts I got.. other than the fans.

Its just I took a fairly non-conventional method of doing things.. Mounting the rad on top of my case. I just didnt really think things through alot I guess.. I figured i'd jst bolt it all down.. yeh.

It started with the fact that the screw holes on the radiator are smaller than the 6/32" screws I bought... the nuts I used kept unwinding from next to no movement.. eh

It took a while / was semi- a pain to fill my loop.. bleeding was OK but filling just sucked.. probably because my fillport was lower than my radiator, plus the fact that my "t' line is upside down.. so the tube from the fillport goes down then curves back up (to prevent kinking) which made it a hassle to get water in.. had to basically go 1-2 oz at a time.

So much to explain, heh.

I probably would choose to not mount my radiator on top again.. unless I was going to use a resiviour..

Back