• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest socket-A chipset waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warenb

Whats the cheapest chipset waterblock compatible w/ Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe out there right now? I keep seeing these $40 chipset blocks and once in awhile cpu waterblocks much bigger but much cheaper than the chipset blocks which is annoying.

You are right it is pretty annoying. The thing is more people want CPU blocks than they want Chipset blocks and then the practice of supply and demand kick in.

The nForce2 chipset does get pretty hot but I don't think I would watercool mine though. Have you ever thought of modding an old HSF to fit the NB?

Something like this:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=398854

Hope that helps some,
Bryan d.

EDIT: crazypc has the Maze4 Chipset block for 34.95
CrazyPC--> Maze4 Chipset

the northbridge does get pretty hot in nf2 boards. its especially annoying for me since the onboard sound on mines gets distorted. you could probably go with any chipset block you found. i dont think any of them are board specific and will fit as long as you mount it correctly.

Well I've been considering using an old 60mm socket-A heatsink, anything better than the so-so stock sink. Cant get much past 440mhz fsb, and ram/fsb is where more performance comes from when you hit the cpu mhz wall. Only thing I worry about is it being too big or not, its pretty much cube-ish as any heatsink can get, no oddball shape to it. Dont know if it will clear the small sink on the backside of my x800. I think its called a HIS or IHS or something to do w/ converting the pciE-ness of the chip to agp, but whatever it does, it gets even the little sink so hot it burns my finger (used a thermal probe and it was ~120f). Well enough of that rambling.

Oh yeah, my friend that sold me this asus board had/still has a maze 4 chipset block and couldnt really get it to fit on this thing.

Cooling the chip isn't going to get you any higher FSB I am afraid. You can't adjust the chipset voltage with the motherboard, which is what is holding you back. You are going to need to volt mod the motherboard to take it higher. I did 245FSB no problems on stock air with my nforce2 system. WAter didn't get me a single MHz higher.

Look for used maze4s or PM crimedog he could help you out geting a cheap block for this app:)

Mounting can be an issue as the stock mounting might require alt modding to work on it the absolute best/

Well the plan was to voltmod it once I got better cooling. Ive had the resistors and everything sitting in my desk drawer for about a year now. I have an old Maze 3 but dont know how to get it on there other than thermal compound.
Oh, and I was wondering if this would be a good idea to stick on there despite the review?

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
the northbridge does get pretty hot in nf2 boards. its especially annoying for me since the onboard sound on mines gets distorted. you could probably go with any chipset block you found. i dont think any of them are board specific and will fit as long as you mount it correctly.

Sound distortion is a Southbridge temp related issue. Sticking a small heatsink on it should fix that.

Back