• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Service Pack 2 stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperSXZ

Registered
Stupid question, I know, but I've been using XP for a long while.I got my XP CD before the Service Pack 2 XP CDs came out. I tried Service Pack 2 a long time ago and I couldn't play games, just like everyone else. Is this problem fixed now?

Yes, really it was never unstable. Though it did have some issues working with other programs. I have had it installed though since it came out and just reinstalled it myself and everything is going fine. No game conflicts or anything of that sort occuring for me.

Edit: Also make sure to close all running programs. The main cause for a problem before was improper instillation.

Last edited:
I highly suggest slipstreaming SP2 on a CD if your going to go to it. I've had much better experiences with it. I have a SP2 slipstreamed CD that I use for all of my clients and no problems.

A few programs didn't work when SP2 was in beta and was first released, but now everything is updates and it runs great.

Seriously though, you should upgrade. Keep in mind though that it can cause some issues, and I will second Kendan's advice to make sure that you are free from all malware first.

If it gives you issues, then post back here, and someone will help you with it.

never had an issue with ANYTHING on the more then 15 computers i have put it in since it came out - that include 3 gaming rigs :)

Back