• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I need to beef to speed up decompressing with winrar?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mycotopian

I do alot of newsgroup downloading so I sometimes have 5 or more quickpars running and 5 or more winrars running all at the same time while surfing the net. While doing this I can hear the cpu having a heart attack.

What improvements can I make to my current system to speed up winrar?

Should I throw more memory in there or is winrar more of a cpu intensive program?

If so what processor should I go with if this is going to be the primary use for this computer?

here is a screenshot of the task manager while I have all this running.

screenie.jpg

Well it doesn't look like you're maximizing either your processor or your RAM so you're bottleneck is your hard drive. Not much you can do about that other than buy a new drive and put the files on different drives so you can distribute the load and seek times for each drive. Also to decrease seek times you can read from one drive and write to another. That is really the only way you can speed it up.

You're looking at a hard drive upgrade.

My bad I just realized I hadn't updated my sig

My rig: Cooler Master Stacker case w/ OCZ Powerstream 520w PSU
ABIT AA8XE w/ Intel 540J Prescott Watercooled
1gb OCZ PC2 4200-Radeon X800 Pro 256mb- 2 Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM Serial ATA150 HDD - BenQ dw1620

Last edited:
Back