• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling for 72 hours and I’m hooked; Wondering about 3 fan rad.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soong

I’ve been running with water cooling for 72 hours now and I’m blown away. I have a PD 820 2.8GHz and I’ve managed to OC to 3.63GHz @1.4volts no trouble so far. I’m going to let it fold overnight at this speed to see if it’s really stable. With stock cooling I wasn't totaly stable even at 3.0GHz so I went down to 2.9GHz (and it was running 60C idle!!!) 830MHz is a pretty good overclock IMHO but I already find my self considering a 3fan rad from DD (they’re on sale). The ONLY thing stopping me is that I don’t have the ability to mount it very cleanly.

Check out this web page (thumbnails don’t load but you can click them). He has my case, a Lian-Li 7077 and he did some amazing stuff including a 3 fan rad:

THESE PICS ARE HIS PC NOT MINE:
modding-064s.jpg

modding-063s.jpg

modding-605s.jpg

I’ve also seen pics of external mounts on these boards. Anybody have links to a HOWTO or advice on how to get started either with the internal or external mounting methods?

That's a very clean install he did although I must confess to not liking roof mount rads for a couple of reasons.

a) The radiator is using air from the case interior which is probably above room ambient.
b) Much longer tube runs.

I looked at your other thread but there are no pics so I'm just guessing at your current layout, but...

Might it not be possible to add a second (small) rad into the loop somewhere?
Possibly interposed between the CPU and GPU blocks?

Are you confident that the rad is a bottleneck now?

Last edited:
Soong said:
I’ve been running with water cooling for 72 hours now and I’m blown away. I have a PD 820 2.8GHz and I’ve managed to OC to 3.63GHz @1.4volts no trouble so far. I’m going to let it fold overnight at this speed to see if it’s really stable. With stock cooling I wasn't totaly stable even at 3.0GHz so I went down to 2.9GHz (and it was running 60C idle!!!) 830MHz is a pretty good overclock IMHO but I already find my self considering a 3fan rad from DD (they’re on sale). The ONLY thing stopping me is that I don’t have the ability to mount it very cleanly.

Check out this web page (thumbnails don’t load but you can click them). He has my case, a Lian-Li 7077 and he did some amazing stuff including a 3 fan rad:

modding-064s.jpg

modding-063s.jpg

modding-605s.jpg

I’ve also seen pics of external mounts on these boards. Anybody have links to a HOWTO or advice on how to get started either with the internal or external mounting methods?
:drool:

thats sick! :santa2:
welp bro, i would honesty buy a dremel and practice on something till you feel comfy doing work on your case!

clocker2 said:
I looked at your other thread but there are no pics so I'm just guessing at your current layout, but...

Might it not be possible to add a second (small) rad into the loop somewhere?
Possibly interposed between the CPU and GPU blocks?

Are you confident that the rad is a bottleneck now?
In the loop I have setup now the water goes through the rad imidatly before going into the CPU water block. If the rad had more surface area then It's fairly resonable to assume the the water coming out would be a few to many degrees cooler coming out of the current one and thus would cool the CPU more. More cooling also opens the posibility of using Peltiers.
d94 said:
:drool:

thats sick! :santa2:
welp bro, i would honesty buy a dremel and practice on something till you feel comfy doing work on your case!
I just purchased a Dremel and used it to open up the fan vent on the top of my case. Cutting aluminum is amazingly lound and a bit slower than I thought it would be at 35,000RPM. It's hard to imagine cutting a 15.6" by 5.25" hole and having it look good.

Anywho...

Sorry these pics have alot of noise, they were taken with my cell phone.

An overview shot
wc1.jpg

My Lian-Li 7077 had a 12cm fan grill on top but it probably blocked 50%+ of the airflow the grill was so thick so I Dremeled it out.
wc2.jpg

In the next two pics you can see some blue LEDs. They're part of my motherboards super nifty 8 phase power conditioning. They light up 1 - 4 to show power load. Since I started folding they're all solid all the time. This is really nice because the constant strobing before bothered me. Now they give a cool effect going through the green coolant.
wc3.jpg

wc4.jpg

In the last pic you can see my super ghetto fly (temporary) reservoir.
wc5.jpg

I've got plastic wrap over the top to minimize evaporation and the tubing is zip-tied in place to keep it from getting out of place. The reason Ihave so little liquid is that I had 2oz of additive (Hydrex) and the ratio is 1:16 so that means 32 ounces total unless I wanted to over dilute it. I want to get a Swiftech MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir but everybody is out of stock.

JJG said:
broken pics
I’m aware. I’m having trouble with my host. I placed an order to upgrade my storage space from 50MB to 250MB and I got downgraded to 10.24MB; currently waiting on them to fix it.

my first thoughts of bottom mod

First let me say I wanted to show mine off
so here is what I currently have...
snap-002-01.jpg

I drew this mod for a guy with a case i never seen before
he wants the BIX3 so i gave him a bottom example...

bottom-mod.jpg

I'm doing the bottom mod on mine in a couple weeks

BUT
my xaser super tower is a bit different
i'm taking out my bottom hdd bay

all 3 fans are on bottom of case inside
plexy shroud 3" drop on rad under case

and a complete plexy box exact size of case boxing it all in with filter on back

but i'm putting a splash tank on front with plexy

the splash tank is just a show off - lol
319/gph should show off spraying against front - lol

~RD

Back