• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why I hate IE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawkins

Ok, I just put a fresh install of XP Home on this extra computer of mine and its connected to the net right. I open up IE to download Firefox, and to also look at oc forums, and I already get pop-ups! I also download Microsoft's Anti-Spyware and it finds spyware too! And this is all in like 2 hours of running this machine!

IE definitely blows; v7 will probably seem like an improvement... for about 10mins.

I do a lot of webdesign so my biggest gripe w/ IE is that it's barely compatible w/ most CSS functions. Mozilla/Netscape-based browsers are much more flexible but it's a pain having to design for cross-browser compatibility... since most FireFox/Mozilla-ignorant users use IE-based browsers (i.e., AOL users). Annoying.

Unless you installed SP2, then the majority of the pop-ups are the result of having the 'Messenger' service enabled... since the service is by default set to Automatic on a pre-SP2 system.

Not only that but just connecting the wire to your ISP may cause infection on an unprotected PC whether you open a browser or not.

After switching from IE to Firefox... I'm never goin back. I used to surf the internet back in the days when AOL was still popular and Starcraft was the name of the game. I would open up one page, minimize it, and open up 5-6 others. By the time I get back to the first page, it was loaded, read that, hit another link, and go to another window... My desktop and taskbar were constantly filled with IE tabs... Firefox's tab system is SO much better. Also it already has a built in Google search feature.

My only gripe with Firefox is that there are certain sites that REQUIRE the use of IE to view (my university has some sort security that needs IE). Very annoying due to the fact that I remove the IE icon from my desktop, quicklaunch, and start menu... replaced with Firefox of course.

BTW, Shawkins, have fun DLing updates... all 3 hours of them. I have to reformatt soon too... :bang head

I have never seen the need to switch to Firefox because for some mystical reason I don't ever get spyware.
I am not exactly sure why I don't get spyware but it could have something to do with:
  • Setting ActiveX controls to prompt
  • Setting Cookies to prompt
  • Turning off install on demand
  • Properly setting up security settings
  • Clearing temporary internet files when I log off
IE is not bad if you set it up right, but like most Microsoft products, Microsoft does not tell you that by default their software is horribly insecure and you have to actually secure it.

futura2001 said:
I have never seen the need to switch to Firefox because for some mystical reason I don't ever get spyware.
I am not exactly sure why I don't get spyware but it could have something to do with:
  • Setting ActiveX controls to prompt
  • Setting Cookies to prompt
  • Turning off install on demand
  • Properly setting up security settings
  • Clearing temporary internet files when I log off
IE is not bad if you set it up right, but like most Microsoft products, Microsoft does not tell you that by default their software is horribly insecure and you have to actually secure it.

Firefox requires me to do none of that and still not get spyware... why go threw all that trouble to stay with IE when IMO Firefox is sooooo much better. Has more features too, with tabbed browsing and stuff which i LOVE!

Only version of IE i didn't mind was myIE2, which was pretty cool... but my computer was still vulnrable since it was just a shell over IE :)

Back