• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Boots slow.........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erebos668

Registered
KK i just build a new computer with 2 gigs cosair, a amd 64bit 3500 , 80 gig seagate sata 3 gb, and a pcie 7800 gt. Well i dont have a case yet so i just set my mobo on top of a static gaurd and have been running it on top of that. But it takes like half a minute to a minute for windows to boot. I think somewhere someone told me that if you mobo isnt grounded properly that it can cuase windows to boot slow, anyways does anyone know if this is true?

If there is improper grounding it can do all sorts of flakey things to a system.

Run this in your run dialog. It will optimize the boot. Give it about 5 minutes to complete then reboot to see the results.

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

If this don't help it could be a driver or the board is improperly setup. Many times the network drivers will slow up the boot process.

You could get bootvis to do a trace. It will show what is slowing you up.

This site explains how and what it does. Optimzing the boot which it does. Is the same as the command I presented above. You want to do a boot time trace. It will under the menu; Trace/Next Boot + Driver delays.

Upon rebooting it will show you how long each driver is taking. Also what is taking the longest or holding you up.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-19.html

Erebos668 said:
KK i just build a new computer with 2 gigs cosair, a amd 64bit 3500 , 80 gig seagate sata 3 gb, and a pcie 7800 gt. Well i dont have a case yet so i just set my mobo on top of a static gaurd and have been running it on top of that. But it takes like half a minute to a minute for windows to boot. I think somewhere someone told me that if you mobo isnt grounded properly that it can cuase windows to boot slow, anyways does anyone know if this is true?

You do not want the pins of the mobo to be in contact with static gaurd while it is running. Static gaurd works by shorting out electrical contacts, granted it is more resistive then aluminum foil, but get the rig in a case.

Erebos668 said:
I think somewhere someone told me that if you mobo isnt grounded properly that it can cuase windows to boot slow, anyways does anyone know if this is true?

Probably not. If a part of the motherboard is touching something conductive, the motherboard probably would fail to post or be totally unstable and likely won't power on and may get a blinking or flashing LED instead.

Back