• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Token "How's My Set-up look" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plague77

Registered
Hello all. This is actually my first post in this forum. I have, however, been lurking around here and other sites for a few years "getting learned" on WC. OK, OK...I'm sold. Life as I know it cannot continue without WC. For the system in my sig I plan on purchasing (already purchased some) the following components:

Iwaki MD20-RZG (purchased)
BIX3 Rad (purchased)
Switech 6002-64
Maze4 Acetal for SLI
1/2"ID Tygon
120mm Fans X 3 (have Pana M1A high-flow) better fans??
Fillport/T-line

I have seen somewhat negligible differences between the 6002 and Storm or Apogee. I figure I'd start with this CPU WB and upgrade soon enough to the "latest-greatest". I am not a HUGE overclocker, probably more concerned by noise. Though overclocking is an option, seeing how aour PC components become obsolete so quickly...well, obsolete to a geek like me. Well, Whaddya think folks??

Pic's are too large to post...i will work on that. But, FYI, I have modded the top of my case by making 3 "blowholes" for a top-mounted BIX3. It will bring air through the rad into the case. I will work on getting pics tonight.

A lot of people will disagree with me but I think if you are pulling enough air through the case and have it blow out through the radiator then what little heat is added to the air from your memory and whatnot will not will not significantly or measurably impact temperatures. Nearly all the heat in your computer is from 3 things, your CPU, GPU and PSU. With the heat from the CPU and GPU being carried directly out of your case via the radiator and the PSU probably has its exhaust fans pointed out anyway, your memory, hard drives and other peripherals aren’t going to be heating things up that much. On the other hand, if you point the radiator heat into the case that will heat up and degrade the life/performance of EVERYTHING in the case.

Soong said:
A lot of people will disagree with me but I think if you are pulling enough air through the case and have it blow out through the radiator then what little heat is added to the air from your memory and whatnot will not will not significantly or measurably impact temperatures. Nearly all the heat in your computer is from 3 things, your CPU, GPU and PSU. With the heat from the CPU and GPU being carried directly out of your case via the radiator and the PSU probably has its exhaust fans pointed out anyway, your memory, hard drives and other peripherals aren’t going to be heating things up that much. On the other hand, if you point the radiator heat into the case that will heat up and degrade the life/performance of EVERYTHING in the case.

IMHO I don't think it matters either way, my radiator heats up the air inside the case 1-2C at max fan settings, and 3-4C at quiet settings. What would be more important would be the amount of air flowing through the case. IE, you wouldn't have ALL exhaust fans or ALL intake fans.

I have my rad exhaust sucked through the case, its not that big of a deal when you have good air flow.

I have a pair of San Ace Sanyo Denki 109R1212H1011 120x38mm fans on my rad, they undervolt quietly and can push a lot of air when turned to max at a decent cfm (12v/~100cfm/39dba).

Last edited:
Maviryk said:
IMHO I don't think it matters either way, my radiator heats up the air inside the case 1-2C at max fan settings, and 3-4C at quiet settings. What would be more important would be the amount of air flowing through the case. IE, you wouldn't have ALL exhaust fans or ALL intake fans.

I have my rad exhaust sucked through the case, its not that big of a deal when you have good air flow.

I have a pair of San Ace Sanyo Denki 109R1212H1011 120x38mm fans on my rad, they undervolt quietly and can push a lot of air when turned to max at a decent cfm (12v/~100cfm/39dba).

Ditto to that, the idea that the rad is gonna heat up the case is just plain false, with a BIXIII he is gonna see a water temp of less than 2c above ambient, the rad will heat the air coming into the case much less than 2c.

You can also look at it by the air flow, whats gonna be cooler? A case with 3x high pressure 120 fans blowing through it and <2c hotter air, or a case with minimal air flow?

BTW, OP, you should be happy with the M1As, and the rest of your components for that matter.

ls7corvete said:
You can also look at it by the air flow, whats gonna be cooler? A case with 3x high pressure 120 fans blowing through it and <2c hotter air, or a case with minimal air flow?
If the fans are blowing in or out you're going to have the same ammount of air flow through the case nuts.gif

ls7corvete said:
Yea but blowing is not as effective as sucking. Still an option though.
Perhaps pulling air through a radiator, especially with use of a shroud (debatable I know) is more effective than blowing through the radiator. THIS is not what I thought we were talking about. If the fans are moving 100CFM of air; whether they are blowing in to the case or blowing out of the case they are still moving 100CFM of air through the case.

Well, this generated alot more fan/rad/airflow talk than I eexpected. I will be pushing air through the rad into the case probably, though it will not make much of a difference either way I imagine. As far as the components, guys.
Quality mix or am i missing anything. What should the series look like, as far as order. Pump will be bottom of case w/ rad in top Here's some pics. Since these pics I have added the Evercool VC-RE chipset fan and tidied the cables up quite a bit.

Attachments

• Triple 120mm Exhaust.JPG
    Triple 120mm Exhaust.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 62
  • New Rig 4.JPG
    New Rig 4.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 64
Does anyone have this case and is currently WC in it. Any tips or suggestions specific to this case or my setup in general. I am relying on the knowledge/experience of those who have gone before me in order to avoid disaster and subsequent profanities :bang head

Back