• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mass file extension changing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aeiou

I have about 1000 files that I need to change the file extension on. They are all the same now and need to be changed to the same extension (in this case they are being changed from *.m4a to *.m4b.

How can I change them all at once using whatever. I really don't care if it is in windows or a mac/unix (I could do it on my pc or my ibook).

Open a command prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | At the C:\> prompt (assuming the files are located in the root directory. If they're not, then just change the path to the files accordingly using the CD command), then type...

C:\>REN *.M4A *.M4B

For example, when you open the command prompt, you're greeted with...

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\>

If for example the files are located on the Desktop, CD to the Desktop directory using the cd desktop command. You should then see...

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Desktop>

You can then type...

REN *.M4A *.M4B and ENTER

Last edited:
Wish I know that earlier. I thought batch changing file extensions is not possible and changed 40+ file extensions manually . pathetic. used this here

Last edited:
Back