• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Done installing my first w/c..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NGL_BrSH

Edit: full timeline here: http://stk.fps-city.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27949

I did it..
toughest part was pushing the darn tubing onto the barbs.... cut myself doing it. man that stuff goes on hard!
anyway.. i figured the less connections that were actually in my computer the less the odds that fluid leaks inside..
so just the pump and water block(obviously) are in the comp..
I decided to install the Res on the outside of the case so.. i can refill it easier and one less thing to leak inside..
I found some PVC grommets for a GM that did the trick.. angled the tubing.. you can see in pics..
once i'm confident this will never leak i'll zip-tie all my wires and make it prettier.. but here is my first :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

so laugh at the newb but i like it.. and my processor dropped 30c!

Last edited:
no.. i don't even see where it looks like there are screws lol..
anyway.. i'll post more pics once i ziptie everything pretty like.. once i'm confident that i won't have to move anything for a while :D

NGL_BrSH said:
no.. i don't even see where it looks like there are screws lol..
anyway.. i'll post more pics once i ziptie everything pretty like.. once i'm confident that i won't have to move anything for a while :D
The screws holding your fan guards on look as if they go through the rad, through the radbox and into the case. I think I figured out how it's set up now.

How did you drill the holes for the tubing on top of the case and where did you get the grommets if I may ask. I like your setup and the radbox looks like a great way to space the radiator from the top of the case.

So you will ziptie it once you know it wont leak? You should make sure it wont leak before you put everything back in your computer!

Soong said:
The screws holding your fan guards on look as if they go through the rad, through the radbox and into the case. I think I figured out how it's set up now.

How did you drill the holes for the tubing on top of the case and where did you get the grommets if I may ask. I like your setup and the radbox looks like a great way to space the radiator from the top of the case.

-I went to home depot and bought 7/8 bi-metal hole saw and chucked it up in my cordless drill.. pretty much went through it first time but the battery ran out right before i made it through so i finished it with a tungsten carbide cutter in my dremel.

-my radiator came with two straight grommets which i used for the top holes.. but i went to autozone and bought two pcv grommets for late model GM cars.. which are angled. Worked out perfect for the resevoir.

trendx said:
So you will ziptie it once you know it wont leak? You should make sure it wont leak before you put everything back in your computer!

I ran it for 4 hours before i put everything back in.. but being my first watercooling setup i was leary to tie everything up till i run it for over a week.
Ziptie is for the cables.. i certainly fastened the hoses onto the pieces properly.

So far 18 hours no leaks :D

WarriorII said:
Woooow. I'm impressed. That really turned out nice. :)

30C! cooool. :cool:

What kinda temps to you have now?

Thanks guys .. good to see senior members saying i did a good job for my first install :D :D :D

I would say that 30 delta is due to the fact that after inspecting the oem heatsink that was on it.. seemed the some of the thermal pad disinegrated making it not really having great conductive properties :p

i went from 65 under full load now to 35-37 c thats F.E.A.R Totally maxed.. like TOTALLY with xfire, mirc, aol, msn, azureus, virus scanner all running.

3.4 p4 overclocked to 3.8 and i'm gonna shoot for 4.2 gradually :D

Nice work NGL_BrSH! Not a big fan of external radiator but your right, if it leaks at least your not 100% screwed!!! I'm looking to setup my first water rig after the holidays.

pwnt by pat said:
You shouldn't be screwed anyway. You are supposed to bleed and leak test your system when it's NOT hooked up to the componants.
I did but i'm still scared...

Back