• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't go into safe mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

I have no idea to go into safe mode on my computer, i've tried pressing del, f1-9 keys at bootup and got nothing. I've looked in my msconfig and found no "boot.ini" does anyone know what the problem is?

It should be F8. Does your keyboard have F-lock or F-Mode? Also check in bios to see if you keyboard is even set up to load. I know mine used to be set to only load once windows finally loaded it's drivers. Had to set legacy to enbabled in bios.

F6 does nothing and F8 asks me what boot device to boot from. Is there a possibility that the ability to go into safe mode was removed from my computer, and is there a way to get it back?

There's a good possibility your MB's BIOS has a setting to adjust the boot settings from the press of a key, and I assume that would be F8. This is a pure timing thing, but try to press the F8 key right before the Windows XP (assuming you're running XP) loading screen comes up.

OK I got safe mode to work, I had to enable USB Legacy Support in BIOS, Thank you tenchi86! But I still dont have BOOT.INI in my msconfig, should I be worried? Here is how my boot.ini file looks like, anything I should change?:

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (bootscreen)" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It could just be a file permissions issue. Type C:\Boot.ini in the Run box... if you get an Access Denied or similar error, that explains the problem. Another possibility... Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Shared Tools | MSConfig

In the RH pane, if there's a value named Boot.ini... delete it, then re-open the MS Configuration Utility.

I can access D:\Boot.ini as thats my main drive letter.
There was no Boot.ini value here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Shared Tools > MSConfig

Also why I'm in this area should I delete all my startup registry values, since I don't have anything at startup?

Back