• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

automatic restart for automatic updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
this is going to sound like a stupid question but is automatic restarting after automatic updates a new thing in winxp x64 edition?

i woke up this morning and thought my overclock had failed me after almost two weeks, wasn't making sense until i checked the event log. i thought winxp (pro 32-bit at least) always asked the user to reboot after an update instead of automatically rebooting.

I had the same thing happen to me. I was trading out an old fan for a new one with the COM still on. It took me about 15 mins due to other distractions and my monitor automatically turned off after that period of inactivity. Right after it turned off, Auto Update downloaded some critical updates and then automatically restarted. At that moment I plugged in the new fan as the system rebooted. I thought I fried something.

Back