• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Tygon tubing become disformed at the connectors over time, causing leaks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Achilles17

I ask simply because a few months ago, I noticed I had a rather serious leaking problem at two of my barbs, but couldn't quite determine the source. I was really busy at the time, so I just disassembled my whole loop, and went back to stock air cooling for a while. Anyway, now I'm getting my WC loop setup again, and I'm wondering if my tubing could have been the culprit.

I don't think it was the barbs on the blocks, as water was escaping from the barbs on both my Storm G4 and Silverprop Fusion HL, so I assume that the problem was in the connection. Did I just have a bad seal, or is it possible that my tubing became mishaped and lead to leaks? I have 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Tygon R3603, so I would think it would keep a good shape, but is it possible that my tubing did become warped after about 6 months of use, causing leaks? I ask because I am ordering various other new components and such today, and I would like to know if I should order more tubing, or just stick with what I have.

I'm going to try to leak-test it a little later when I get the time, but before I can, anyone have any guesses what the cause could have been? Thanks!

Did you use any kinds of clamps? Most tubing will make a very good seal, sometimes so well that you don't need clamps however as a safety precaution, you should always use them.

The only tubing I've had experience with warping, and stuff like that, was the cheap $3 roll of 10' home depot stuff.

Achilles17 said:
Tygon R3603, so I would think it would keep a good shape, but is it possible that my tubing did become warped after about 6 months of use, causing leaks?
No.

Yeah, I used worm clamps on all my barbs. I still don't know what caused the leaks, but I guess I'll find out when I get around to leak-testing again. I wouldn't think it would be the tubing either, but I just couldn't imagine what else it could be.

I've noticed that, depending on the amount of pressure generated by worm clamps, 3603 will compress to a fraction of its normal thickness. This is especially apparent over barb rings. I've yet to see a clamp actually scissor through entirely though, but I'd imagine that it's possible though.

^I would suspect that would happen with a worm drive clamp if the hose got moved around for quite some time, eventually tearing the tubing, but doubtfull.

I imagine all tubing will both stretch as well as thin out where the clamp is over time. I know when I used cheapo vinyl tubing from Home Depot when I first setup mine, after 3 months I did have a leaking problem, due to the barbs stretching the tubing out. The barbs pretty much stretched the tubing from 1/2ID, to around 5/8ID.

Something to consider I guess.

hmm...maybe I'll order another 3 feet of tubing or so, just to be safe. I did notice something a while ago where if I put too much pressure on the barb with the worm clamp, it sometimes caused more leaks than if I left it off completely. Not big leaks, but a drop every once in a while. Maybe that's why.

Back