• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"You have not connected the power extension cable..."9800Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

I am having an issue with my Radeon 9800 Pro. A few days ago I went to restart my computer and I get a black screen with the red message
"You have not connected the power extension cable to your radeon 9800 video card"....It finally booted up , Im not sure what I did if anything at all. Today it happened again and this time I cannot get to desktop.
I'm pretty sure the card isnt dead it works fine when I can get to desktop with games ect.

Anyone know how to fix this issue? I have been searching net on sister's comp but I cannot seem to find anything.

Please Help!
Thanks =)

Have you checked the molex that is plugged into your card, it just might be a bad connection that got bumped... or something actually bad. That should be your problem right there.

btw - be sure not to hurt yourself trying to get it off, somehow the one on my 9800xt got stuck and I cut myself trying to get it off.

I unhooked the extension cable and checked it out then hooked it back in. It looked fine. Do I have to use the extension cable or can you hook PSU directly up to the video card? I didnt try direct PSU to video card cuz I didnt know if its safe...

My PSU is kinda gimpy. Is some generic one that came with case. Havent had any major problems with it though. I dont know what you mean by "check the rails".

Thanks

Take the card out and look at the molex connector, see if there are no burnt pins there. I read about something similar hapening to someone on this forum, rendering the molex on the card useless, he ended up soldering the wires to the back of the card and it worked like a charm. But simply replacing the molex socket would work just fine.

Ok I think I checked wrong cable when I thought I checked the power extension cord. Went back to make sure and saw this:

img01477zf.jpg

-

img01496yo.jpg

-

Is there any possible chance the video card could still work? Would I endanger other components if I tried hooking PSU up directly to card? I would just use it temp until I can get a replacement card.

The Coolest said:
Take the card out and look at the molex connector, see if there are no burnt pins there. I read about something similar hapening to someone on this forum, rendering the molex on the card useless, he ended up soldering the wires to the back of the card and it worked like a charm. But simply replacing the molex socket would work just fine.
^^

Is there anything I can do? Is it still possible it could work? Would i be endangering other components by hooking power supply up to it? Would my warranty cover this, or am I just screwed and gonna have to buy a new card?

So so many questions...just really sad :(

Warranty should cover it, but I think that is overkill. All you need to do is try to clean off the burnt pin by plugging and unplugging the connector in to scrape it, then connect it to a main PSU cable.

I have never soldered before and dont got the equipment to do so... Where can I get a new molex socket from?

Well its a tough call, was it OCed or not? And is the card still under warranty?
Either way, try to contact manufacturer, explain what happened, and they may just replace the card for you

Nope never been OC'ed. I cleaned it off the best I could. The pin is a greyish color (diff then the other 3). Theres no burnt junk on it anymore though. Im gonna hook it up and see if it will work. Im going to contact ATI and see about a getting it replaced though. Not sure if it is still under warranty or not but I can give it a shot.

Hooking it up wont like blow up my comp will it? lol....

Got it hooked up. It works ^_^.
I'm just worried it might heat up or burn out.
Is there any simple way to tell if it is over heating?

This kind of thing usually happens on poor contact between the metal parts (of the molexes) and this is causing the metals to heat up and burn the plastic around it. You should try to make the socket have better contact by taking a pair of thin tip pliers and sort of applying some force on that burnt socket to make its diameter small so there will be good contact with the molex pin coming from the PSU, to prevent this from happening again.

The reason why this happens is because of high resistance between connections. This high resistance happens usually with crappy PSUs because they use crappy tin metal that oxidizes easily.

On my Antec 550 the molexes are gold plated, which helps the connectivity it's a cheap way to prevent this stuff from happening. Try to look for that in a new PSU.

Back