• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making drive private

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I am leaving my "old computer" at home for my dad to use and plan on setting up an ftp to store stuff on. my problem is i dont want my dad to have access to the storage drive. when i right click and goto "sharing" the "make this folder private" is gray (Cant click on the check). Any ideas. thank ya

If the OS is the Pro version of XP, you can change drive/partition permissions by opening "Computer Management" (type compmgmt.msc /s in the Run box) | Storage | Disk Management | Right click the volume name | Select "Properties". In the Properties dialog box, click the Security tab (you'll need to make sure "Use simple file sharing" is unchecked... under "My Computer" | Tools | Folder Options | "View" tab | Advanced settings). Click the name of the user or group whose permissions you want to change, and then do one of the following...

To change specific permissions, select or clear the Allow and Deny check boxes for each of the three levels of permissions: Use, Modify, and Control, as applicable. To deny all permissions, click Remove.

You can also set up advanced permissions for the drive/partition by selecting the "Advanced" button... here you can select "Effective Permissions", "Ownership", etc.

If the OS is the Home version, you'll need to boot to Safe Mode and logon as Administrator, or use the cacls.exe tool (located in %systemroot%\system32) from an admin account in normal mode in order to make changes to the NTFS file permissions. To enter Safe Mode, hold down the F8 key just before Windows starts to load (just before your PC finishes POST'ing).

Back