• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fluid leaked on 7800... fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
When I got back from work yesterday I checked my system, and somehow it had a small leak onto the graphics card. It was up and running okay overnight, then I come back to it restarted without putting out a signal to the monitor.

After that I took it and the mobo out of my case, and proceeded to pour 91% isopropyl on both to get all of the residue and everything off from my mixture. I put everything back in my system and reconnected today, and I can't get a picture on my screen. The worst part is, is that i don't know for sure whether or not I am having the cold-boot issue with my mobo or not.

any other way to think to fix my card or see if it works?

edit: any chance BFG will take it back if I put the stock cooler on it and make it look good as new?

Last edited:
as far as I know the Antec P180 doesn't have a speaker, therefore no beeping will happen. The diag lights come up to the 4 lights then slowly go back down to 1, which afaik is a normal boot.

as much as it pains me to say it, your card probably is fried.. perhaps because water is conductive, when you turned the pc off to make sure nothing was wrong, the card sent a little charge through the water and it shorted something :( try cleaning it again maybe? just incase? it seems so sad that such an expensive card is probably fried :(

Careface*

thanks guys.

I guess I will try taking it out again and pouring alchy on it again and letting it dry by itself to see if that works :(

dont give up your hopes since ive had a drop of water hit my x850xt (no hose clamp on one barb :rolleyes: ) and caused my enitire rig to shut off instantly. Turns out the psu fried and my purtyvid card was fine :cool:

hmm, well the rest of my system is still getting power, so i will have to check that one off, but I will go ahead, like I stated, and clean it just in case.

And don't RMA it either, that just wrong to try and get a new card for something that you did, intentionally or not. They will have to charge more money for these already incredibly high priced cards. I have done it to, I chipped the core on a brand new 9600pro when they first came out trying to put on the waterblock. Won't run without artifacts now.

Careface said:
as much as it pains me to say it, your card probably is fried.. perhaps because water is conductive, when you turned the pc off to make sure nothing was wrong, the card sent a little charge through the water and it shorted something :( try cleaning it again maybe? just incase? it seems so sad that such an expensive card is probably fried :(

Careface*
So it is fine until it gets turned off? What should/can you do then do power it off while it is wet and avoid shorting it?

Rattle said:
the DFI has a built in speaker lol, its just off by default, move the jumper...
where is the jumper? is that the one on the top left?

Back