• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Regarding a hard drive swap...win2k3 server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silverfoot

I have a hard drive on my home data server (Win2k3 Server), I want to put the hard drive in my desktop ~ is there anything that would prevent me from getting into the files on that hdd when I put it in the Desktop? Should I set the permissions on the drive to wide open just incase?

Win 2k3 server OS
User specified Network name (i.e. not MSHOME or WORK)

The server was a domain controller at one time, it is not any longer. Now, in order to access it I just type in the address and have to log into the network with credentials.

\\{server name}

then it brings up the list of shared dirs and I surf.

Thanks so much! :)

The BSOD probably is because of the fact that it's loading the wrong IDE driver! Thus it can't access the HDD!

This has nothing to do with DRM, AFAIK.

RJARRRPCGP said:
The BSOD probably is because of the fact that it's loading the wrong IDE driver! Thus it can't access the HDD!

This has nothing to do with DRM, AFAIK.
It's not DRM, never said it was, I said it was a protective feature. There's a difference--

DRM is intended to take your rights away and REMOVE your protections,
and
Protective features are designed to protect your rights.

:)

It may well be related to the different IDE controllers, but the net result is that it happens regularly when taking a drive from one computer to another without a repair install-in-place. I would rather view it as a protective feature, 'cause it's a flaw otherwise.

Back