• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to delete desktop driver download icon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rave Crusader

Registered
I was downloading new nforce sound drivers on windows xp and canceled the download in the middle. Now there is a icon on my desktop for the driver which I am unable to delete

When I do I get "error deleting file or folder"
Cannot delete 4.62_nforce_audio_winxp2k_international_whql: It is being used by another person or program"

I have removed the Nforce drivers and it still would not delete. How can I remove this icon from my desktop? :bang head

have you tried restarting? i had issues like that and restarting would allow me to delete them.

If rebooting did not help, follow THIS for a nice, effecive proggy Called Remove on Reboot. I have never had any problems with it. Works reliabley and on any file that needs removed. I use it any time Windows thinks it has more authority than me. :cool:

After you install the program, right-click the file in question and you will see a new short cut 'delete on reboot'

Last edited:
It is possible that it's been saved as a protected file. If so it's a annoying problem. What I do and it works most of the time for files that just wont delete is look at the properties of the file and unckeck the "Read Only" option. That has helped me in the past and without needing to use any 3rd party software.

But this might not help. Let me know.

Back