• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP SP2 Dual Core Performance Fix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried this fix some time ago, since it also applies to HT CPU's...
Windows XP SP2 is required on computers that have multiple CPUs that support ACPI processor performance states. This requirement includes computers that support the following items:

• Multiple physical sockets
• Multiple-core designs
• Multiple logical threads, such as Intel hyper-threading technology
... but didn't really notice any difference in system performance. I applied the fix with and without the creation of the Registry Key mentioned in the article...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Session Manager | Throttle

New DWORD Value name of PerfEnablePackageIdle, with a value of 1

... and still didn't really notice any change. I think it applies more to dual-cores than HT CPU's, but since it mentions HT chips in the article, I went ahead and tried it anyway.

They also have this posted over at xtremesystems . I tried it on a 3800 and the fps dropped 20 on the CS:S bench, so I uninstalled them. The comp with the 3800 wasn't having any problems though, so you might as well try it. The fps went back to the before scores by just uninstalling and removing the reg key.

Back