• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Giving up water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albaholic

Due to the recent death of some of my hardware, I’ve decided to give up watercooling (at least temporarily). Though this is not the only change I will be making, I need to reprioritize many things in my life. My computer often took prescendence over a lot of things. I’ve decided to salvage what hardware I can and move back to air cooling. Water cooling is for those who can cope with the cost of killing hardware(because sometimes sh*t happens) . In addition to this, I will no longer allow myself to constantly tinker with my computer. I intend to bring my backup rig to tolerable specs and leave it be.(at least for now)
Things I need to do

Get a Job+save money
Pay off credit cards
Spend more time with GF
Get back in shape
Catch Up on reading
Study for more certifications
Mess with more *unix based OS’es so i can ditch winblows

This doesn’t mean im giving up computers. I just want to pick it up again when I have a few more 0’s at the end of my bank account. My rig right now is just one monster money sponge.

I'm curious. What brought this on? I've had my water cooling rig running perfectly, with no maintenance required (except occasional refresh of antifreeze just in case) for over 2 years. I guess I don't understand the hole tinkering thing. It's just to provide better cooling than air, and once you've made the investment in the pump, rad and blocks, why go back to air?

I'm not meaning to upset you, I just want to understand how watercooling is a constant drain on your finances, especially since you've already made the investment.

Albaholic said:
Due to the recent death of some of my hardware, I’ve decided to give up watercooling (at least temporarily). Though this is not the only change I will be making, I need to reprioritize many things in my life. My computer often took prescendence over a lot of things. I’ve decided to salvage what hardware I can and move back to air cooling. Water cooling is for those who can cope with the cost of killing hardware(because sometimes sh*t happens) . In addition to this, I will no longer allow myself to constantly tinker with my computer. I intend to bring my backup rig to tolerable specs and leave it be.(at least for now)
Things I need to do

Get a Job+save money
Pay off credit cards
Spend more time with GF
Get back in shape
Catch Up on reading
Study for more certifications
Mess with more *unix based OS’es so i can ditch winblows

This doesn’t mean im giving up computers. I just want to pick it up again when I have a few more 0’s at the end of my bank account. My rig right now is just one monster money sponge.

Well I hear what you are saying. This hobby of ours can steal alot of time away for the things that might seam.....less fun, but necessary. Like going back to school. I am personally going of to the university next September, which will reduce my spare time and the amount of money I can allow to spend on "fun stuff". But these sacrifices are necessary, if we like it or not.
Good luck and God speed.

MoreGooder said:
I'm not meaning to upset you, I just want to understand how watercooling is a constant drain on your finances, especially since you've already made the investment.

Tinkering isn't all that unusual, especially with something that can easily be considered a hobby. While I can't say it's a drain on my finances, the wife and I are hard-working DINK's, I do indeed fiddle with all aspects of my gaming rig, as much as possible. I can see how wanting to maintain a near-SOTA machine can be a drain without regular money coming in. I sympathize with the OP and wish him better luck in the future. :thup:

I've wavered between water and air for the past few years.
Never killed anything major, but can recognize the potential.
Good luck, Alba.

Now that the politically correct noises have been made....whatcha got for sale?

Its not really the cost of watercooling per se. Its the cost of replacing the HW in my sig that WC'ing has killed. Dealing with dead hardware wouldnt be that big of a deal if a had a job. Earlier I was a little distressed to say the least. But killing HW is a potential risk we all accept. On that note. I don't plan on selling anything at least anything WC related. I'm considering selling the xeons and the ncch-dl, 6800U if they still work after an alcohol bath. I want a dual core opty rig. Once I get a job and take care of all the things ive been ignoring. I plan on getting my feet wet again. :)

poogl3 said:
Maybe next time go with nonconductive solution?
i'm a newb, what solutions would that be? is it that expensive green stuff they sell on ebay?

how well does it cool compare to water?

pwnt by pat said:
Don't give up! We will shank you.
Yea...so there! :)

I have been watercooling for just over 2 years the only thing I have done is to change the fluid. once when it turned brown for unknown reasons. No problems and I only use a 10% solution of the common green antifreez. I did have some purple stuff, but since changed. as far as cost? My whole setup cost me around $20 to make. and now tinkering is almost nil.

Don't give up! You might just want to find a way to streamline what you are doing so it won't be as costly or time consuming.

You'll be back.. they all come back..

and what non-conductive cooling are you talking about poolg3? I might be interested in that.

I also am curious to know what happened to kill your parts? Although air is of course "safer," there is no guarantee with it also. I have seen processor fans die, etc., and also there is to consider that watercooling is bound to extend the life of components vs. much higher temps on air. And I agree that if killing parts and leaks is really a major concern, go with the non-conductive fluid. It is worth the $30 if you are really concerned about it.

I agree with the previous post- "you will be back..."
As Darth Vader says, "it is your destiny..."

NGL_BrSH said:
You'll be back.. they all come back..

and what non-conductive cooling are you talking about poolg3? I might be interested in that.

There are several nonconductive solutions, although none of them offer the same cooling potential as water+antifreeze. The difference may be as small as 2-3 degrees, and the ease at mind would be priceless.

Primochill PC-ICE
MCT-5

NGL_BrSH said:
Thats freaking awesome...
I'll sacrifice the cool green for the peace of mind..
THANKS!

I'm thinking the same thing. Although I would like to get as much cooling as possible, I would constantly be in fear that my rig would be ruined. As a college student, I can't afford to replace all the parts.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and like everyone says "youll be back". I am also curious what hardware you lost and what exactly happened? As far as non conductive fluid goes, itll become conductive after you add it to the loop, but may be a tiny bit safer for the first couple days.

Sorry to hear about all of this.

What exactly was lost? perhaps some forums folks (i, included) may have some stuff laying around that may speed your rig to back up and running status.

I was debating WC for a while, i've shy'd away from it because of the restrictions in movement vs. air cooling. I will be setting up a WC rig when i have a strictly stationary rig along with a nice air cooled mobile rig.

glad to hear your going to re-prioritize a bit. I'm getting there myself. My hobby has consumed my free time and the girlfriend is getting quite irritated with it. We're going to be headed to Massachusetts from 12/23 to 12/30, and no computers are going with me.

Sorry to hear of your loss, you'll be up and running with a great rig soon!

~ Gos

after my recent loss of my 7800gtx :( I am probably going to go to the non-conductive solution bandwagon. How much better is it? I mean can it leak onto the hardware then after an alchy bath still work?

Teh Hobby of Computers.
Has many components and water cooling is just one of them. If you tinker and experiment with stuff enough you WILL break something eventually....just odds catching up with you. ;)
I, obviously, am hooked on H2O as virtually a stand-alone hobby: computers are just the excuse, sort of. :D

There are other things to do though, and if you can't bear to leave a cooling system alone than maybe a break from water would be a good idea. OR you could try building it and LEAVING IT ALONE! ;)
I know, this can be tough, lol. That is a decision only you can make though.

Personally, I prefer water BECAUSE I have had fewer component failures with it than with air cooling though I will admit that my own stupid mistakes have cost me more than either.

If you do stick with the decision to go with air for a while, don't fret, my friend: there are still thousands of things to learn and screw up while wasting hours of time.....happily. :)

Last edited:
Back