• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP: Missing Folders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Can anyone think of some possible causes and solutions to missing folders?

My friend has an entire folder with pictures in it under C/Documents and Settings and it's seemed to disappear.

She did a search for it, found the folder, but when tried clicking on it, it didn't go in. And it's not there when she goes manually into the folder it's supposed to be in (according to the search).

Any ideas guys?

bchur83 said:
Corrupt HD? Is it hidden, or have the permissions been changed on the folder?

It was not hidden (according to Properties), and I don't know how where to change permissions, some insight please?

Know Nuttin said:
when she does the search, right click and do a "Properties". She just may not have permissions to it.

She did that, but how would she turn on permissions?

what OS specifically?
XP Home doesn't support permission setting like XP Pro does

If it is XP Pro, she will need to turn off simple file sharing. This is in Folder Options -> View.
Under Properties of the folder, she would then see a "Security" tab.

Know Nuttin said:
what OS specifically?
XP Home doesn't support permission setting like XP Pro does

If it is XP Pro, she will need to turn off simple file sharing. This is in Folder Options -> View.
Under Properties of the folder, she would then see a "Security" tab.

OK I'll check that out Nuttin, I don't know if she has Home or Pro, but she has XP so yeah. Thanks.

If the OS is the Home version of XP, she can boot to Safe Mode and logon as Administrator, or use the Cacls.exe tool (located in the %systemroot%\system32 directory) from an admin account in normal mode... if she needs to make changes to the NTFS file permissions. Unlike the Pro version, the "Security" tab in a folders' properties can only be accessed in Safe Mode.

Last edited:
K thanks redduc, and sheep, I'll check both of those out.

Back