• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I had an epiphany about my Iwaki

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

Which side is the output of the pump? The one pointing up, or the one pointing out? My external watercooling box that I made ended up being kind of a tight fit, and my tubing gets kinks in it. Does it make a difference in cooling if I have to make several loops so that the tubing doesn't kink? My pump has 22.6 ft. of max head, so I wouldn't imagine so. I'm about to cut my tubing, so I just thought i would run this by y'all.

Last edited:
The one pointing up should be the output side of the pump, because water will come in the side pointing out and get spun around really fast and exit the side pointing up. That is assuming it is like every other pump I have encountered.

Yeah I saw your build log and thought that it looked a little tight. Fortunatly for you, it should not matter if you have to have a lot of tube loops because like you said you have a killer pump. You could even get some 90 degree elbows to make your setup work. I know they kill flow and what not but I think the loss you would see would be 1-2 degrees at most (I think that is a pretty generous estimate too.)

So yes however you shoose to solve your problem should not really adversly affect your setup.

Good luck
The Toaster

Okay, well I REALLY don't wanna have these loops. They're just waiting to get kinked without me knowing. Where can I find a 1/2" 90 degree angle barb? Is this a common item and will I most likely be able to find this at Home Depot?

I'm going to be super mad if they don't have this at Home Depot. That means I gotta wait til after x-mas to get my computer running!!!

Last edited:
Is there an echo in here?

Herr Rogers said:
Which side is the output of the pump? The one pointing up, or the one pointing out? My external watercooling box that I made ended up being kind of a tight fit, and my tubing gets kinks in it. Does it make a difference in cooling if I have to make several loops so that the tubing doesn't kink? My pump has 22.6 ft. of max head, so I wouldn't imagine so. I'm about to cut my tubing, so I just thought i would run this by y'all.
You made this thread and asked the exact same question 3 days ago; 47 minutes later you had an answer by yours truly.

Go to Home Depot and ask for 3/8" copper 90" fittings. They're made for 3/8" OD copper tubing, so you can stretch 1/2" ID tubing over just fine.

Soong said:
You made this thread and asked the exact same question 3 days ago; 47 minutes later you had an answer by yours truly.
Yeah, I ended up getting the PSU and the "jump start" thing. I just wanted to hear it from more than one person, and I had one more question so I bundled it in there. Thanks.

Depending on what tubing you are using you have a couple options other than an elbow which can be a flow restriction.

1. Use zip ties arount the tubing, this will not allow the tubing to flatten out. Use one every 1-2 inches and dont over tighten, just snug them.

2. Coolsleeves are a really nice option for stopping kinks. I believe they are only available for 5/8" and 3/4" OD tubing currently however so that will depend on what tubing you are using.

Lowe's carries brass fittings in the irrigation or plumbing section by Questplex. If you get the 3/4" 90 degree elbow, it actually measures 5/8" OD 1/2" ID and works very well to restrict flow as little as possible. The inside diameter of a 1/2" elbow is normally only 3/8". I have used the Questplex fittings and they work very well. I would not recommend using any kind of unbarbed fitting as I soaked a computer doing that as without the barbs, the hose can work its way off, even with hose clamps. Using this elbow is a lot better than having kinks.

learning curve said:
If you have the room 2-45's would restrict the flow much less than a 90 degree would.
So you want me to make a curve? Look at your name! BAHAH! Me and my mom are headed to a plumbing surplus store to get what I need.

Just to let you know, if the tubing will kink because its hitting the top of your box or something, you can unscrew the 6 screws from the front of the iwaki and point the outlet a different way. Although you might not have enought room to do this either ,just thought I would point it out.

Back