• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to open apogee?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trendx

I recently got my Swiftech h20-120 premium kit.. i was told to open up the apogee and get any shards of metal out.. was i supposed to get the wrench to open it or does it not come with it? Also do i use thermal compound on the cpu and the gpu? Also it didnt come with the metal clamps for the tubing it came with plastic ones.. what do u think about that?

You use a tiny allen wrench to open it. Most people have these laying around the house someplace, ask a neighbor / family member if you dont have one and dont want to buy one.

Generally you should use thermal compound between anything you are cooling, so yes. CPU and GPU.

Lastly, it seems most prefer the metal clamps over the plastic ones.

You can use the ceramique thermal compound that came with it (I think that is still what they ship), but the better thermal compound is Arctic Silver 5. You ALWAYS must use thermal compound or you will fry things.

You can get an allen wrench cheap at any hardware store, or maybe even at a dollar store.

metel shards? - damn i must not have read about that - my apogee been running over a week - i didn't take it apart

will it hurt anything?

~RD

Yeah man, it has been all over the net. Do a search. Most people just open it up and clean out the shavings. I have not seen any reports of damage to components due to these shavings.

Sidenote:
What part of SC are you from? My fam lives in Aiken, I go to school in Columbia, my sis goes to school in Spartanburg, and my GF lives in Rock Hill...lol So, I am pretty much all over the state.

How muc better is the artic 5 over what they give me? On the packaging it just says "artic ceramique"..

Back