• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this still "THE" kit to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
yes and no. the no becuase youll hafta open up the block and de-burr it, and yes because it still comes with awesome high quality parts.

whatta you mean de-burr it?

This apogee is better then the storm performance wise right? I am reading about it being about the best price:performance ratio WB while the storm was touted as being the "best" wb period. Well as memory serves me.

id say go for the apogee kit, just because its a really good waterblock for the price, but to get optimal performance you need to keep your IHS on, if you take it off, then boom, lots of the performance goes right ou the window.

yes, this still the best kit to get as far as kits go. Just heed the advice about the Apogee and cleaning it out before using it as that is obviously a common issue.

Am I mistaken though? The price seems to have increased by $10 from the storm version while the performance has decreased!

Also I am planning to upgrade to a 1meg cache DTR(meaning no IHS) processor.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
then the apogee is not the block for you. try to find a kit that still uses the storm.

is this becuase I am going to be using a DTR? or becuase I am questioning the $10 increase and performance dcrease...

O and I found I was wrong about the $10 increase the price has just remaind the same.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
its cause of the DTR. chips with small dies dont work very well with the Apogee. it even says that chips like AXP's wont do well with it

is it even possible to find a STORM based system no adays?

RDWest2005 said:
IHS ? wtf is that :) haha
^ noooob

IHS means integrated heat spreader. its the metal thing on your processor. only on a64s is it removable, with P4's it is too, but its WICKED risky, the processor hasta be at 75ºC for the solder to be melted, and its just a big mess.

Am I mistaken though? The price seems to have increased by $10 from the storm version while the performance has decreased!

There are two performance components when considering a block:

1) Heat Transfer
2) Pressure drop

Ignoring the second part isn't a good idea, the more water moving through the system per minute the better cooling you'll observe. If you plan on adding Chipset or VGA blocks to your circuit you'll be very glad you didn't choose the Storm block. The Storm gets 1C-2C better results but incurs a very large pressure drop to do so.

AFAIK the 1C-2C improvment isn't worth the loss of flow (GPM).

Gregz said:
There are two performance components when considering a block:

1) Heat Transfer
2) Pressure drop

Ignoring the second part isn't a good idea, the more water moving through the system per minute the better cooling you'll observe. If you plan on adding Chipset or VGA blocks to your circuit you'll be very glad you didn't choose the Storm block. The Storm gets 1C-2C better results but incurs a very large pressure drop to do so.

AFAIK the 1C-2C improvment isn't worth the loss of flow (GPM).

Right when I was about to hit the buy button you say THIS!....you bastardo.....anyone have any comments on this?

also how much is a vga cooler that comparable to a vga silencer?

***EDIT***

and I was curious...would I have to do any modding with the storm setup for a DTR proc?

Last edited:
It will be considerably more than '1-2 degrees' with no IHS - its probably closer to 5-6...

Back