• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No0b To W/C Need Part(s) Help / Answer ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

WaterCooling Help

This will be my first water cooling setup. I know people make these threads everyday, but I just need to be reasured of a few things.

So far these are the parts I have gathered. (Going to buy)

SwiftechMCP655 1/2 Inch Water Pump. ( Is this the exact same pump as the DangerDen D5 except with a new brand name on it ? )
Apogee CPU water block. Or maybe the Storm which is also made by Swiftech I believe. I dont know enough to pick one or the other. Which is better ?
Black Ice Xtreme II Radiator. What do yall think of this radiator ? Also, I am unsure of what fans to pair with this radiator. And how do most people, or how is the easiest way to mount the fans on the radiator. Do they have 120MM screws placed on the radiator or do you drill them yourself ?
Maze4 GPU Block
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Hi-Flo Reservoir.I am unsure of what tubing/fluid/clamps I should get or need to use with these parts. Maybe someone could make a suggestions. And finally, what are barbs ?

Thanks ahead of time = )

Last edited:
Apogee is more economical then the storm for same performance according to recent reviews.
Panaflo M1A or U1A are good fans for that rad. The rad comes with threaded holes for 120 mm fans already.
Barbs are what you push your tubing over.
Looks like you're going for performance.

i would be cautious with the apogee if i were you. if you read around youd find out people have been having problems with manufacturing quality.

i would go for the storm for 40 bucks more for a "less" headache WC setup. :D

I already have a storm and its a good block. But for multi block installs the apogee has an advantage of much lower resistance. QA issues have been addressed according to Swiftech.

Apogee - Dropped my temps 10c from big water block

i would be cautious with the apogee if i were you. if you read around youd find out people have been having problems with manufacturing quality.
** CAUTIONS ***
Apogee comes with plastic barbs(the plastic nipples yout tubes goes over)
They fooled me a I sprang a leak after running about 3 days
I won't go into all details - but my SLI top 7800 GT was soaked and water/antifreeze was in pcie slot - 99% alchohol has got mine back to normal it seems..........

Safe way
Just bare down on the plastic barbs and be sure you push the o-rings down into their groove good and tight - i didn't - i just snugged down on o-ring and not push it all way in its groove...

*note* (this is on the paraniod side)
All guys thats built many wc systems without ever having leaks use pipe dope on threads and o-ring from all the reading i've done - don't get a type thats like cement - i think there is one type like silicone - or teflon tape the treads - don't put but maybe 1 round and 1/2 - you don't need to build it up high...

Resorvoir...
You don't need a resorvoir unless you want to show the liquid off per se
DD Fill nozels are the best i've seen...
example.... here...
But without the resovoir at top...
fill-ports.jpg

no matter how you mod your boxen
the back drain fill port is same as in top of that resorvoir

you can just use 2 fill ports
the top ones tube coming down will be the resorvoir

I'm doing a bottom box mod in a couple weeks changing all mine around

but notice my liquid level and look at drain running out back
makes draining sooooooo easy

myloop.jpg

If you got the $$$
The monthly roundup said BIX3 is best performer

both BIX2 and 3 prolly hold temps about same - but while benching oc etc - the 3 will hold temps down a little more i would guess

So i went with BIX3
and just to be a show off to my friends

where else - i put it on top :)
snap-002-01.jpg

All that will be gone in a couple weeks
I'm having a couple custom fabricated aluminum frames made to go under my box for it all

All plexy inclosures

Thats my $0.02

~RD

Last edited:
Thats my problem about top mod
my xaser has the top of the folding door cut out for the TT digital meter

But it has enough room to sqeeze my BIX3 over psu but like you say
it will be up into top bay

hummmmmm - - now i got another thought :)

i think the thermochill pa120.3 will fare better than the bix3. used to have the bix2. folding temp was between 47-49. with my thermochill, FOLDING TEMP is at 45-46

Thanks everyone !!!!! Solved a lot of my questions = ). I think either way I do it I am gonna have to make a few cuts in my prescious XASER Armor. But all will be ok. I think ill stick with all the parts I have listed. They seem to be adequate according to everyone. I will have the resovoir still, but I will put a drain tube at the end. My only concern with the drain tube is that the water pressure would build up and maybe cause a leak since its hitting the end of the tube not draining. Would that be a problem ? Thanks again yall. = )

Back