• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page file allocation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TWY

I have a system with 1GB RAM, and Microsoft says that the page file should be set to 1.5 times that of your system memory.

I also have 2 HDDs inside the system, one containing the OS, and another containing my data. My question is, if I were to place the page file completely in the data HDD, would there be any problems with Windows itself or some programs where a page file is needed in the OS partition?

If there is a need to leave a page file in the OS partition, how should I split the 1.5GB size of the page file between the two drives? :shrug:

IMHO you'd be best off by letting Windows manage the size of the Paging File, and also just leaving it on the root volume (the boot partition) where it is. This is one of the most frequently asked questions re: the MS OS, and there will always be differing opinions (in part due to misinformation) AFA the size and location of the PF. Do a search for Paging File in the MS Operating Systems forum, read through some of the threads that come up in the search, and you'll soon realize what I mean.

In order for you to find out for yourself if any performance changes occur by altering the size and/or location of the PF... experiment. Move the PF to a different location, resize it, disable it (although it can't truly be disabled), etc. Run a HDD benchmarking program and/or any memory intensive program like a game or Photoshop, and see for yourself if the changes you've made to the PF have improved performance any. Run before and after tests, and record your findings... possibly even posting them in this thread.

Last edited:
Back