• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to Reinstall Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OkydOky

I'm simply curious..
I will be upgrading my computer massivelly in a couple of days.
I am Changing Graphics Card (geforce3ti500 to 7800GT), Motherboard(socket A Epox8kHA+(I think) to DFI Lanparty UT), and CPU (Athlon XP to 64 X2).

Do I need to reinstall Windows?
Since I will be keeping the same hard drive, can I simply plug it in and run the machine (installing new drivers of course) from the current XP install.. or will that cause problems?

The simple answer: no.

I HIGHLY recomend you reinstall windows on a formatted hdd.

Your changes require too many driver changes to not reinstall. I am not even sure if your computer will boot if you do not reinstall.

Make backups of everything before you change hardware.

The complicated answer: ...you could keep your currrent intallation, but you will need to look around on how to do that. You will have severe issues with your drivers. I do not even know if it will boot in safe mode. If it does, then you can uninstall your old drivers, and possibly install the new ones.

Do you need to? No. Is it recommended? Yes. There is just too much potential for problems with leftover drivers and what not. It can be done though, but you must assume the risk that the OS will just plop on you.

Go into Device Manager, change the driver for the IDE controller to the standard MS IDE driver. Reboot, make sure you can go back into the OS, remove the drivers that will be different/not required because of the hardware change, then shut the PC down and do your motherboard swap. That should allow you to get back into the OS 95% of the time, with just driver installs required.

Back