• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Explorer missing history

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

What would cause internet explorer to not retain its history?

Upon hitting CTRL + H, the history window shows up but there are NO folders in it whatsoever. Under internet options, its set to retain 20 days worth of history. What gives?

No, i removed the only virus scan program that was on her computer. I don't know if being a laptop makes any difference......

Copy and paste the following code in Notepad, and save it with a .reg extension...

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"History"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"History"=dword:00000001
...then just click on the .reg file to merge it into the Registry. There shouldn't be a space between the e and r, and the t and e in the two "Internet" Key names (in the code above). For some reason it's not formatted correctly on the forum, so just make the corrections in Notepad before saving it as a .reg file.

Last edited:
produced this error

cannot import history.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. you can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor

Did you repair the spaces in the word "Internet"? The two branches should look like this, except forward slashes replace the Pipe commands...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Policies | Microsoft | Internet Explorer | Control Panel]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Policies | Microsoft | Internet Explorer | Control Panel]

Well, let's try it like this. I've uploaded the .txt file, so you just need to save it to your Desktop, then rename it with a .reg extension.

Attachments

• History.txt
    255 bytes · Views: 35
well, that worked in terms of loading into the registry didn't know that

"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

actually had to be at the top of the file.

Anywho, it didn't fix the problem. there is still nothing in the history folder

no, cause she's getting flustered (i'm helping her over instant messanger), all she did was close internet explorer and try it again. Next time i get my hands on the comp, i'll reboot and see where it stands from there

She may also have a corrupt History folder. To delete the History folder and index.dat file, first make sure she's logged on as Administrator. The History folder is located under the following branch...

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\HISTORY

... then reboot the machine.

Back