• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

creating gaming profiles ......i think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

Ok i was wondering, is there a way that when i boot windows i can choose from a "profile". Say for example. Normal day i want to boot into windows and have it look all pretty and blah blah. So i boot like normal.

Then say i want to game so i can reboot into a gaming profile, where the minimal task load / services / no pretty windows load. Saving as much resources as i can when gaming online ?

Well off the top of my head(and in no way am I saying this is a great solution) you can install Windows on your drive twice and just have boot.ini labeled so you know which install is which and then just set each boot style accordingly.

Hey,

I've just been thinking about doing the same sort of thing. I ran across this program called 'fsAutostart' (which stands for flight simulator autostart), a small app written by a guy named Ken Salter, who wrote it to automatically disable all un-neccesary apps and processes and launch his flight simulator program, and when done playing it will start everything back up again. That sounded slick to me. I have dl the prog. and am now searching for info on which stuff I can have it safely shut down. See my post on this forum.

If you want to give it a go, here's the link:
[email protected].

I ran across it on guru3d so it's pedigree is pretty good. I plan to use it myself. Hope it helps you, it's even supposed to do multiple profiles for running different programs, and, I assume, shutting down various stuff according to each programs needs.

If you have trouble finding it, just pm me and we'll figure it out. Hope it helps.

Rob

Ha, I just read your previous post about Norton AV. I see you know RSEVEN- amazing- I don't know him but it was he who first mentioned this fsAutoStart program on the x3 Reunion site and he provided a link, now changed. Maybe get with him about it.

Happy holidays.

Rob

I am still playing with the program but this seems to be what i was looking for. I have a question you mighht know (still searching) After you load program (or short cut ) and it runs the batch process, how do you get it to load back all org services/apps. :shrug:

Hey,

I've been distracted over the holidays and haven't had time to play with the prog. but here's a link to his FAQ.

http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/faq.htm

I took a quick look and did see some references as to how to use the thing.

This link is his 'How to use' page. Don't know if you've seen it.

http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/howtouse.htm

Both from his web site. From what I gather just casually reading, it is supposed to restart the shutdown apps when the game exe stops running.

PS- Sorry to have referred you to rseven by mistake, it was actually a different guy who mentioned the prog on x3. My bad, was tired, i guess.

Rob

Lol you said everything in your first post. Simply:

1) right click my comp -> hardware -> Hardware profiles -> create a new one
2) services.msc -> choose a service -> log on -> Hardware profile (enable/disable for your profile)
3) You will now have a choice when you boot up

enjoy.

ok- I set it up and it works good. When you choose a process or program to control just click on the entry in the action column and a dropdown box will appear, choose stop and restart if that's what you want. Apparently you can choose to simply stop an entry completely, or start one. After you set up your profile be sure to close fsAutostart completely before you try to use it, just close it and then reopen it and run your program or game or whatever. If you try to run it after you've set up your profile without closing it first you will get an .ini error, I did anyway.

A dos window will open with a list of the stuff it's going to shut down, then the game will start- after a time delay you can set. And when the game stops running, another dos window opens and lists the stuff it's going to turn back on. It's excellent. I've used it a bunch tonight trying out a couple of games. As the previous guy said, enjoy.

Rob

Back