• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Can Brown Do For You?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evancold

Well for many people in my area they destroyed all of their packages. There was a truck between Pocatello Idaho and Salt Lake City Utah that caught fire and destroyed nearly all of the packages. And this was no small truck either, a Semi with two trailers. And now UPS is just trying to charge more to get the packages to arrive on time to the customers. Just thought I would share this odd event with everyone. :p

actual picture from the scene of the truck.

Brown can lose mine and my company's packages, as well as the damage claims for them, and let us take all the blame!

I HATE UPS.

I think I heard about this a few days ago. Something about the tires catching on fire or something?

The line of you saying they're charging the customers more is pure propoganda from your own mouth. That would never happen. Don't flame just to flame, man.

FedEx has the same sort of follies, too (www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/12/18/fedex.fire/). DHL has aircraft that have crashed due to unbalanced loads. **** happens especially at this time of the season. Just be glad that poor driver didn't die trying to get your pkgs to you. We just lost a driver in Lincoln, NE to a grain truck this fall and an Omaha one to a menards delivery truck when he was sitting at a stop light. Don't flame on dangerous situations like that. Show some holiday spirit instead.
Link to article for those interested: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635170394,00.html

Last edited:
tresmonos said:
The line of you saying they're charging the customers more is pure propoganda from your own mouth. That would never happen. Don't flame just to flame, man.

FedEx has the same sort of follies, too (www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/12/18/fedex.fire/). DHL has aircraft that have crashed due to unbalanced loads. **** happens especially at this time of the season. Just be glad that poor driver didn't die trying to get your pkgs to you. We just lost a driver in Lincoln, NE to a grain truck this fall and an Omaha one to a menards delivery truck when he was sitting at a stop light. Don't flame on dangerous situations like that. Show some holiday spirit instead.
Link to article for those interested: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635170394,00.html

People don't forget when they get screwed over by companies, especially shipping one's. Out of the huge amount of things I've mailed out and received, UPS hands down ranks in my personal opinion as one of the worst. Package Handling is a horrible horrible job though.

What Can Brown Do For You?

Apparently burn packages, sounds awfully like a terrorist attack to me :rolleyes:

tresmonos said:

Edited for kindness :)

LOL...from my own mouth huh? Yeah I just made that up because I hate UPS, come on please. lol. The following is from a local news site. Please read on and stand corrected.

Earlier this week, we told you about a UPS truck that caught fire between Pocatello and Salt Lake City.
Today, a corporate spokeswoman says their fire was caused by bearings in one of the trucks wheels.

Representatives say they're working individually with the customers whose packages were destroyed in the fire.

Reporter Adam Rodriguez spoke with some customers who say that's not the case.

Lori Vaughn: "Brown can't do anything for us anymore, because they just messed up for the last time."

Lori Vaughn is mad. Two Christmas packages for her granddaughters in California were destroyed when a UPS truck caught fire.

The shipping giant offered to resend for a price.

"UPS says if we wanna guarantee it for Christmas, it'll be 105 dollars."

A lot more than the 22 dollars she paid originally.

Susan Mazza: "I think that yeah, they should have shipped off all the packages for nothing or half price."

And it may be a while before Lori sees any money from UPS. So daughter Susan and granddaughter Rainey shopped all morning to replace the lost presents.

This afternoon, it was cutting, wrapping, packing and taping. But this time, they sent the package through the United States Postal Service... With better results.

Lori Vaughn: "It went fantastic. Thank you U-S Post Office."

And Lori Vaughan isn't the only unhappy UPS customer. This afternoon, we spoke with Marlis Fulton, a Pocatello woman who also had packages destroyed in the truck fire.

Fulton says UPS wants a copy of the receipts for all the items she sent; then she can anticipate a settlement sometime in the next 6 to 8 months, but nothing in time for Christmas.

Link to this local news site is below:
http://www.kpvi.com/index.cfm?page=nbcheadlines.cfm&ID=30187

But I guess I must have made that up as well...ROFL

Last edited:
Well I at those words. Sorry, evancold.
Really I shouldn't care as much as I do since I get my paycheck eitherway. These forums help me out when it comes to some situations I run into (ie when I chose to upgrade air cans b/c of weather etc.) In the words of the big lebowski, "**** it, let's go bowling."

Now if you guys don't mind, I gotta get back to work as I'm going to light some more trailers on fire then go burn churches down with my black metal friends...

evancold said:
Well for many people in my area they destroyed all of their packages. There was a truck between Pocatello Idaho and Salt Lake City Utah that caught fire and destroyed nearly all of the packages. And this was no small truck either, a Semi with two trailers. And now UPS is just trying to charge more to get the packages to arrive on time to the customers. Just thought I would share this odd event with everyone. :p

actual picture from the scene of the truck.
Thats terrible.

tresmonos said:
Well I at those words. Sorry, evancold.
Really I shouldn't care as much as I do since I get my paycheck eitherway. These forums help me out when it comes to some situations I run into (ie when I chose to upgrade air cans b/c of weather etc.) In the words of the big lebowski, "**** it, let's go bowling."

Now if you guys don't mind, I gotta get back to work as I'm going to light some more trailers on fire then go burn churches down with my black metal friends...

First off, IMO it's great that you do care about your job, So many people don't anymore. My advice, Don't take things personally and instead, Take the feedback you get here up the chain of command so perhaps things can get addressed in the future. Customer feedback is the number one way you can tell if you are doing things right or wrong. I work for the Target distribution center here in Indy, The stores are our customers and they give us a huge amount of feedback on how we do. We pay attention to their input and strive to improve every year. Like the retail shipping business we get extremely busy during the months of November and Decemeber, We anticipate it and hire and train seasonal help every year. Like with retail shipping, Our customers don't want excuses they want their freight.
I have to be totally honest, So far I am not impressed at all with the UPS/Newegg partnership. So far out of 4 orders since the switch, None have arrived in 3 days, 2 have taken over a week. If Newegg/Ups promote 3 day shipping, They should deliver, Occasionaly you can expect a package to be late, However so far from my point of view it seems expecting the package on time would be the exception instead of the norm. I can only compare apples to apples, And I know many here have had bad expriences with FedEx, However the fact remains that when Fedex was Newegg's primary source of delivery, I never had a package arrive later than the scheduled delivery date, Most arrived early.
Btw, All of my out of state Christmas packages were mailed 7 days before Christmas, I used USPS priority mail and they all arrived on the scheduled day. It is their busy season also, And they were prepared and delivered.
Again Tresmonos, I applaud you for caring about your job, I know you have dealt with a ton of criticism of your employer on this forum, I just hope you pass the feedback on, Because I know in my case I am not ripping UPS just to be ripping them. I do think they have room for improvement and you are not responsible, In the end top management is responsible and they should get as much customer feedback as possible, Because the customers are still what makes or breaks any company.

I worked for UPS for almost two years as a supervisor of 2 Day Air load, that is before I transferred out of the Univ of Louisville. So I'm going to leave some personal observations. I also supervised the sort from time to time.

99% of the time, they are serious about getting a package to it's destination on time. The one example that comes to mind (out of many more), was during the loading of a 747 headed for Newark, NJ. A small package from Amazon (I remember because it had the dumb face on the box) came off the sort and was brought out to us as the plane began to taxi off the ramp, so of course it missed it's flight. Since this was 2DA, it was guaranteed. Well what ended up happening was that they bought a seat on an American Airlines flight for nearly $600 to send it. Unless they have another plane trailing, that what they do every time. They can't always get a seat on carrier but they usually do. I've seen upwards of $1500 spent on trivial packages just to meet their time guarantee.

Now for the bad. If the plane is full or they are some very odd things that can't fit in a standard A2N (6ftx8ft if remember correctly) container, they go in the belly/baggage compartment. That means that the ramp workers get to handle these by hand. Rest assured that if "Fragile" is on the box, it won't arrive in one piece. If it has food in it, it will be eaten. If it is a snapping turtle in a thick cardboard box, it will get poked with pens and pencils. If it's a netted frame full of 1.5 million Ladybugs, the screen will get ripped.

Actually it's not that bad and my crew wasn't too bad. They did love to destroy 8ft boxes of ribbon candy though.

Oh btw, I have friends that worked at FedEx right across the airport from us. The exact same things happened except that you didn't get rehired if you got caught as they don't have a union. They also like to tail tip their planes.

Fragile.. Must be Italian.

evancold said:
LOL...from my own mouth huh? Yeah I just made that up because I hate UPS, come on please. lol. The following is from a local news site. Please read on and stand corrected.
Blah Blah Blah
But I guess I must have made that up as well...ROFL

ups is going to give them their insurance money, but has bad customer service so wont be hooking the people up, that's all that article said. guaranteed christmas delivery is expensive, especially as the size of the packages were not specified. they are NOT raising prices because the truck burned down, like you said. read harder.

honestly, i think it depends on the area..around here i dont have a single complaint on ups, fedex, or usps!
i primarly use usps, then fedex when i dont

i recently ordered something from the egg last sat night. i got it monday morning close to noon! eta was thurs..so i guess im just lucky!

d94 said:
honestly, i think it depends on the area..
And to further the honesty, trying to judge the overall merit of one shipping company versus another based on a sample that includes only the user experiences of one individual is pure folly. It's like the PC users that want to judge MSI motherboards great because they chose them for the three machines they've built and didn't get bit. The operative term here is "statistically insignificant". Ship and receive enough product, and you realize there isn't really an inherent performance difference between the high-volume carriers, and you learn to package stuff so it cannot be damaged (as the packaging guidelines published by all carriers mandate, but is rarely done).

Back