• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lean & Mean XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robprime

Registered
Hello everyone,

I want to optimize this machine solely for playing games, and a part of that is to cut down the number of processes and programs that I really don't need or use but that Windows XP routinely installs and runs in the background, using up precious cpu cycles and resources.

Can anyone point me to a good source of info on which parts of Windows may be safely removed or disabled? I realize that this will probably become quite involved because I'm sure most of the XP apps and such are inter-related and use common resources and stuff, but I would like to trim all the 'fat' that is possible.

I just want to be able to play games, have basic Internet capability for downloading updates and such and visiting web sites such as this one, and lan capability for multi-player.

I'll appreciate any help or advice anyone cares to give. Thanks,

Rob

Back