• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I wait for Vista to build a new rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harres12

Hey I am wondering if it is really worth waiting to get Vista and keep my semiokay P4 and x850. Should I build a better comp with XP or wait and build a new one with Vista. :shrug:

Why wait? You can always just reformat and reinstall with Vista. Also, I would not get Vista for the first year, as there will most likely be many bugs.

PWatterson said:
Also, I would not get Vista for the first year, as there will most likely be many bugs.

That's why there are patches. :)

I'm going to wait until it's released, but wait a couple of months after to see the performance people are getting with their machines, etc.

it might be good to wait because of the DRM going to be in Vista - Your monitor might not show video's out properly and who know what else might be blocked unless you have the latest hardware - that is the issue with Vista - all this DRM talk - Vista seems it will only work %100 how it should with compatible hardware - most of which todays isnt.

I took a pledge not to use any Vista machine for the first year.

I absolutely despise the idea of DRM and am against it with all my heart - and you should too.

In my opinion, you should build your new rig now. I personally do not base my upgrade times on anything to do with an OS but instead on the releases of new hardware or technologies (take PCI-E for example).

The question of "Shall I upgrade" shouldn't be determined by the OS or what cool new hardware came out lately. All you should care about is "what do I need/want to do with my computer?"
If, and only if your current hardware can't do it, then you buy new hardware. Screw the novelties. Also only buy the new stuff if all needed components are in place, ie don't buy the videocard before the CPU is out that's needed to drive that videocard to 10000 3dmarks, cause by the time the CPU is out the card is either cheaper or there is an even better card.

klingens said:
The question of "Shall I upgrade" shouldn't be determined by the OS or what cool new hardware came out lately. All you should care about is "what do I need/want to do with my computer?"
If, and only if your current hardware can't do it, then you buy new hardware. Screw the novelties. Also only buy the new stuff if all needed components are in place, ie don't buy the videocard before the CPU is out that's needed to drive that videocard to 10000 3dmarks, cause by the time the CPU is out the card is either cheaper or there is an even better card.

This is very true. Most people buy new for the sake of haveing better. It's kinda like smoking, if you have the money to support your habit then no worries but if you dont then for god sakes dont do it. Most people I know of dont have $1000 dollars that they can drop without budgetting heavily so it's not worth for them to do.

Also with the lurks of Vista rolling around I would highly reccommend getting an nvidia card and start looking for a linux distrubtion you like. Vista is based off linux so much now it's not even funny. The directory structure and a lot of things under the hood are based from linux, not to mention it uses grub. There are many numerous things that most people on these forums dont agree with Vista and I am personally politically against it. It violates to many human rights and liberties. Besides there is nothing linux cant do better then windows, including gameing. Have you ever seen cedega working on a finely tuned Gentoo machine? It kills a windows machine without a problem.

Anyway Im sorry for the rant but that's just my 2 cents.

I tried Vista and i must say that it's very demanding, and i want to say that i don't like it. You should build your rig now, just put a lot of RAM in it, and it will be Vista ready.

^^^ you really cant comment much on Vista since it is still in beta stages and doesnt even yet have the full GUI and back end, it is also not optimized to run on todays hardware efficienty so to say you dont like it based on a beta is jumping to conclusions.

when vista comes out i will obtaim a copy and hopefully mess with it!
ill tell you one thing tho..ill still have XP installed

but yea bro id upgrade now wrather later

I would wait cause isn't there a new Socket for motherboards coming out soon in around April time. Might as well get that and buy a new CPU which runs off it save you upgrading from Sk939 if your a AMD user.

Tyreal said:
I took a pledge not to use any Vista machine for the first year.

I absolutely despise the idea of DRM and am against it with all my heart - and you should too.

In my opinion, you should build your new rig now. I personally do not base my upgrade times on anything to do with an OS but instead on the releases of new hardware or technologies (take PCI-E for example).

What does DRM stand for? Is that the same as "trusted computing" :rolleyes:
I am 100% against trusted computing. An OS's JOB is to RUN a PC, not limit the types of files I can open. M$ should keep their greedy little noses away from WHAT people use their computers for and stick to designing OSes that will RUN the computers :bang head

DRM stands for Digital Rights Managment it's protection software for music and stuff so it can't be copied like in WMP10. When you rip a CD you can protect it so it can't be played on another PC if sent across. It's what microsoft are sticking in with VISTA to help prevent illegal copying many are against it infact more than many.

It's also is supposed to work on hardware I heard if it isn't DRM compatiable it won't work unless I read to much into it.

In terms of hardware, you have to figure in that atleast 80% of people run budget integrated ati or intel graphics cards and that Vista will work with these unless MS's goal is to effectively shut themselves out of the market.

^^^ yes Vista will, this is why they are having what, 7 versions i think ?

but most of those integrated systems come from OEM which MS and everyone else will work together with Dell / HP and such so that those system are full DRM compatible.

DRM in Vista is more hype then not. Supposebly the hardware has to be DRm compliant to run on Vista or it will not run. Keep in mind though that if Vista will not run it Microsoft will lose a huge market in the PC industry because most people will not be willing to shell out money for new components just to run Vista when XP works great.

At the same time though ATI has already announced that everything in their 9xxx series on up exlcuding the 9200 is vista and DRM compliant already. Most companies have been rumored to have impliamentd some kind of comapt. to make their earlier hardware work also. And most of the compliance will be done via software at first.

The way vista is also programmed will also encourage people wstill using 810's and geforce 2's to upgrade though to because it, as I understand so correct me if I am wrong, is a vector based gui and in such very 3d intensive. ALl in all though the only components the DRM is targeting are video cards, disc drives, and the OS itself. Remember most of the DRM enforcement will be done via software as the DRM isnt even an official standard yet. There are still a couple other standards being thrown around.

I have decided to wait till Vista.

1. Other than my video card, anything I buy would not be enough of a performance increase to justify the money.
2. I can start saving and when the time comes I will have more money for better gear.
3. Vista will be the deciding factor if I go dual-core or not. Right now it doesn’t benefit me enough, but Vista might offer better support.
4. Retailers will probably be stocking hardware heavily due to everyone upgrading. This should lead to some good deals if you buy at the right time (could backfire though if not careful).

mepis said:
DRM in Vista is more hype then not. Supposebly the hardware has to be DRm compliant to run on Vista or it will not run. Keep in mind though that if Vista will not run it Microsoft will lose a huge market in the PC industry because most people will not be willing to shell out money for new components just to run Vista when XP works great.

Who will be the largest market for Vista / MS software?

OEM's - pre built, pre installed user base - so i dont think it will be more hype then it is saying - MS is very much going into this stopping illegal content - MS isb't worried about the people here on O/C forums - they are worried about people who buy Dells and Hp's and other OEM systems.

This is why MS will push this, cause people who buy dells etc, wont even notice this DRM stuff cause it will all work flawlessly, until their little 12 year old downloads some illegall stuff.

mepis said:

At the same time though ATI has already announced that everything in their 9xxx series on up exlcuding the 9200 is vista and DRM compliant already. Most companies have been rumored to have impliamentd some kind of comapt. to make their earlier hardware work also. And most of the compliance will be done via software at first.

The way vista is also programmed will also encourage people wstill using 810's and geforce 2's to upgrade though to because it, as I understand so correct me if I am wrong, is a vector based gui and in such very 3d intensive. ALl in all though the only components the DRM is targeting are video cards, disc drives, and the OS itself. Remember most of the DRM enforcement will be done via software as the DRM isnt even an official standard yet. There are still a couple other standards being thrown around.

dont forget the CPU itself has to be DRM complient

Back