• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So UPS has my new case, right..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iNSiGMA

It was shipped out on the 22nd from Directron.com and UPS says I'll get it on the 29th. However, when I went to track my package today. It showed it had left Dallas, TX on the 23rd... and has yet to make an appearance anywhere else...

They had this typo also:
Your package is in the UPS system and is on time with a scheduled delivery date of Dec 29, 2005.
It SHOULD have read:
Your package has been LOST (UPS System).
"UPS is not responsible for what happened to your *****, please try shipping it again."

The only reason I chose UPS was price. $14 comapired to $30+ for FedEx. And I used to like these guys too! :shrug:

I wouldn't worry about that part of it - sometimes you will go a few days w/o any updates, and then see them all at once. Once you get an "Exception" status, then start worrying ;) .

UPS just screwed up one of my deliveries. It made it to Houston (My City), and then it went to Stafford? (Like an hour away). The tracking info said "The Postal Code listed for your Reciever was incorrect", and then later "AN INCORRECT ROUTING AT A UPS FACILITY CAUSED THIS DELAY;THE PACKAGE WAS MISSORTED AT THE HUB". So, was it an incorrect routing at the UPS Facility (UPS's fault), or was it a wrong postal code (shipper's fault)? Whatever :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is my first major delay with UPS, and I have had one other package that arrived in a sad state (mis-handled, but the item was alright).

I feel your pain! But they do deliver tons of packages everyday w/o issues. On another note - did you see where one of their trucks caught on fire last week? There is a thread around here somewhere. They were actually making people RE-PAY to have their item shipped (if it didn't get burned up)! That is horrible service IMO...

You will be fine IMO :cool:

YEah I seen that. Thats some messed up stuff right there. I wouldn't pay them jack. I'd jack them up.

When I was waiting for a chair. I looked on the site. It showed it was still in the hub. I called and asked. It was scheduled for delivery. Thought I got it @ 8:30PM I understood that it is that time of the year. The UPS rep even told me that it would be late.

Stick with the last ETA, then if on that day it don't show in your town. Give a call.

24th was a Sat. UPS doesn't work Sat unless they have too (sat delivery etc). It's Xmas Season. You should have it on the 29th if not sooner. I have the same issue with a Fed Ex package. Says the 28th, I will make calls on the 29th. I feel your pain. I am waiting on my MB for for dual 240s.....

How is it you think the UPS is $14 vs the $30 FedEX fee? Because it is truly a ground service. It left Dallas in sealed in an 18-wheeler, and it's still there. Geez, what do you expect for $14?

FedEX, regardless of the advertised mode of transport, often flies packages. This gets them from Dallas to a few miles of your house overnight, and they sit around until the "expected delivery date", sometimes for days. Sure you get an update quickly, but often it says "out for delivery", and the driver doesn't leave it. And you couldn't pick it up at the center that day because it's riding around in a truck. You sit around waiting all day for a package that just gets left on the truck and taken back to the center at 6pm. Maybe you can go get it then if you've figured out what's happening before they take it on its next daily ride...

Well guys the case came this morning... damaged.
Now I have to RMA it.

I am not sure who is responsible (either Directron, UPS, or Manufacturer), but never the less the screw standoffs which hold the front panel to the steel from of the case were all SHEERED off. Basically broke off somehow.

The box itself looked like it has been in a fight.

However it looks like I won't have to pay to ship it back to Directron.
The guy on the phone said "..UPS damages a lot of cases..." .. "They throw the packages like 30ft in the air into a trailer".

This sucks.

Last edited:
wow.. then i musta been really lucky. Mine was in perfect condition when i recieved it minus the usually shipping dents on the box.

azu said:
wow.. then i musta been really lucky. Mine was in perfect condition when i recieved it minus the usually shipping dents on the box.
Yeah, thats the norm with my experiances with UPS. The box is always tattered.

I've posted this god-knows-how-many times, but here goes one more. The problem with case damage is simple insufficient packaging. The cartons that most vendors ship PC cases in were never designed for individual transport, much less via common carriers like UPS, FedEX, or USPS. They are designed to protect the cases while they are shrunk-wrapped on a palet, in the hold of the proverbial slow boat from China. FedEX is just as likely to damage one as is UPS, well over half of all cases you ship via either will suffer the same fate due to insufficient packaging.

The last couple cases I bought were Antec 1650s, and Antec has started using acceptable packaging. The boxes are thicker, and their dimensions are greater, allowing thicker foam. Also, they have switched to a higher-density foam rather than the classic styro. This packaging at least has a chance of surving individual transport, and if all case manufacturers followed suite the problem would be greatly diminished.

It's tough to buy cases from afar without them getting damaged in transport. I used to buy them by the palet and have them shipped via RL Gator (18-wheeler) in order to preclude damage. Thankfully more and more case manufacturers have started taking responsiblity for this situation, but in the end, the re-seller needs to also. It's not really enough for Directron to reserver a place in the ***** line; they need to package the products they sell sufficiently so that they arrived undamaged, even if they aren't packaged that way when they receive them.

They offer double-boxing for an additional charge.
I, however, didn't see that option when I ordered the case.

larva said:
It's tough to buy cases from afar without them getting damaged in transport. I used to buy them by the palet and have them shipped via RL Gator (18-wheeler) in order to preclude damage.
by the palet... so you bought cases in Bulk?
Run a store?

iNSiGMA said:
They offer double-boxing for an additional charge.
I, however, didn't see that option when I ordered the case.
You shouldn't have to pay for the service. That's like them insisting you have to pay extra for insurance. It's not your fault if the product arrives damaged, it is solely Directron's responsibilty. They didn't sell the case to UPS, they sold it to you.

Fortunately no one tried to make you pay return shipping and the like. As a consumer that's where I would loose my temper. It would **** me off enough that they can't be bothered to package correctly, and if they tried to make that my responsiblity too I would let 'em have it.

Directron may be paying the return shipping, or UPS may be. Honestly, I doubt UPS is as they publish packaging guidelines that must be adhered to before claims are paid, and I'm sure this package didn't meet them. Directron would be wise to just package the stuff correctly to begin with rather than wrangle it out with UPS after-the-fact, with their customer already inconvenienced.

iNSiGMA said:
by the palet... so you bought cases in Bulk?
Run a store?
I worked for a series of mom-and-pop PC stores in the 90s, eventually managing one and helping to found the sole-surviving one in the metro area I live. I was responsible for the contruction of in excess of 7,000 complete PC systems during that time, handling over 1500 a year at my busiest. For several years I ordered and received all PC components used, and as such lived out the back of a UPS truck for years. I received on average 15 UPS packages from 3-4 sources every day, in addition to a daily FedEX delivery.

I have also shipped a fair quantity of cases and complete PC systems. This is how I know what the real problem is. Before our store had custom boxes made that we put all the rest into, stuff got damaged. UPS or FedEX. After we learned to package correctly, neither one damaged anything. This is the difference between having a job, and being a professional. Unfortunately most people in the PC business settle for the first, but at the prices we as consumers insist on paying there really isn't enough profit for the latter, anyway. This is why I left the business full-time in 2002--I wasn't willing to do a half-assed job and people won't pony for the entire thing.

larva said:
I've posted this god-knows-how-many times, but here goes one more. The problem with case damage is simple insufficient packaging. The cartons that most vendors ship PC cases in were never designed for individual transport, much less via common carriers like UPS, FedEX, or USPS. They are designed to protect the cases while they are shrunk-wrapped on a palet, in the hold of the proverbial slow boat from China. FedEX is just as likely to damage one as is UPS, well over half of all cases you ship via either will suffer the same fate due to insufficient packaging....
It is still very difficult why the last few time I have recieved double packed cases from UPS that even have the unexplainable Truck Tire tracks across them. (absolutely no kidding here!) the contents were totally unuseable I.E. FLAT. :) THEN try to get them to pay up for the damage even if you did have the contents insured.

ghettocomp said:
It is still very difficult why the last few time I have recieved double packed cases from UPS that even have the unexplainable Truck Tire tracks across them. (absolutely no kidding here!) the contents were totally unuseable I.E. FLAT. :) THEN try to get them to pay up for the damage even if you did have the contents insured.
UPS is extremely consciencious about paying claims if the packaging meets their published standards. I've gotton mangled boxes from both UPS and FedEX, and neither one has ever given me a moment's grief in rectifying the situation when it was truly their fault. I find it highly unlikely that things played exactly as you have implied here; if the stuff was packaged right and UPS damaged it is inconceivable that they could deflect the claim--to the degree that it would be foolish to try.

ghettocomp said:
My experience has not been good with them. they balk at payment for damage. only service worse has be USPS. It takes weeks to get them to inspect the package and then weeks to get paid, and sometimes they will not pay me but the person that shipped it to me! :shrug:
You need to buck it up the ladder, then. UPS understands customer service, even if the jokers you have dealt with don't.

And again, this doesn't add up. No shipper will pay an insurance claim to anybody besides that person that purchased the insurance. That is the shipper, not the recipient, in most cases.

Yea, I have had a few issues with UPS damage claims before. I had purchased a laptop, and the guy who sent it had it fully inspected before it was sent off. When it gets here, there is some damage on the screen. Not enough to be unusable, but its a slight annoyance. So I call up UPS. Ok, they want proof of value, proof of costs for a repair/replacement, a copy of the shipping receipt, and various other things. Ok, I spend a week getting a copy of all that, then send it over. A week later they respond with:

"Mr. Musgrove,

I received your claim with the above tracking number but since the package
was shipped from All Wrapped Up they must file all claims with UPS."

Screw that, I just gave up on it.

Back