• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my norton antivirus is constantly scanning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

my norton 2004 pro antivirus is constantly scanning "NAVAPSVC.EXE" is constantly running at 20%-50% and the only way i can stop it is to, disable active scanning. i have this Norton 2004 pro on 3 other systems and it dosnt do this.

whats goin on?

Is it configured to scan every day at a set time? what kind of proc do you have? Also, maybe it is just eating alot of resources, while scanning something else that you are doing?

turn off auto protect... i was having the same prob... it was ****ing me off to see every 30 secs or so a little busy icon next to my cursor.

Or, better yet, get rid of norton all together. I used to use Symantec corporate ver 8. A $200 program. I have found avg, the free version to be a better program than ANY symantec/norton product that I have come accross. I highly recommend it. That plus MS antipsyware beta, zonealarm, and teatimer (spybot S&D). Work wonderfully for me.

all my IT friends have allways called it the "norton virus" -its a hog. mcaffee stuff is as well, but to a lesser degree. and thats not to speak of the stuff that scans along with them , as many ISP's and providers now include scanners of all manner as well...

AVG? its a decent free scanner, but once a day, when it scans, its the same old problem. for me, i would be happy with once a week scans, but its better to put up with it, rather than the alternatives.

redwraith94 said:
Or, better yet, get rid of norton all together. I used to use Symantec corporate ver 8. A $200 program. I have found avg, the free version to be a better program than ANY symantec/norton product that I have come accross. I highly recommend it. That plus MS antipsyware beta, zonealarm, and teatimer (spybot S&D). Work wonderfully for me.
I second just about everything that he said. I used to use Norton systomworks and ditched it once I tried AVG and it found 2 viruses residing on my computer that Norton never caught. Norton used to be good, perhaps even the best but nowdays it is just a system hog that doesnt seem to live up to its promises.

My mom's rig is having the same issues with Norton (again, AVG caught nasties that it did not). It's quite strange; she says she renewed it but NAV claims she hasn't and she lost the reg info.

I told her to dump Norton entirely (I use solely AVG, ZAP and Spybot now and have never had problems save for the usual minor adware), but she wants me to call Symantec with the reg info that she does not have. To retrieve that I have to know what version she purchased and when...doesn't have that info either :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed much of a slowdown with AVG scans at all. IMHO once a day is overkill if you have an up to date firewall/spyware finder.

orionlion82 said:
all my IT friends have allways called it the "norton virus" -its a hog. mcaffee stuff is as well, but to a lesser degree. and thats not to speak of the stuff that scans along with them , as many ISP's and providers now include scanners of all manner as well...

AVG? its a decent free scanner, but once a day, when it scans, its the same old problem. for me, i would be happy with once a week scans, but its better to put up with it, rather than the alternatives.

Actually you can disable that in the SCHEDULER
Launch AVG control center.

Scheduler\Scheduled Tasks

and disable

Back