• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Requesting an AIM program other than Trillian and GAIM.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MirandaIM... (NOTE: The screenshot is from the site.)

ss1.gif

http://www.miranda-im.org/

I need buddy icon functionality. I don't care what other people's buddy icons are, but mine must be shown. Will this IM program do that?

According to the forums, AIM buddy icon doesn't work because miranda uses a different protocol.

kayson said:
According to the forums, AIM buddy icon doesn't work because miranda uses a different protocol.
Miranda has to use AIM's protocol to chat with others that aren't using Miranda. If it didn't use the same protocol then you couldn't even chat unless there was a man-in-the-middle that was converting protocols as you sent messages. If they didn't use the same protocol then you wouldn't be able to access your buddy list while using Miranda. Right?

Herr Rogers said:
Miranda has to use AIM's protocol to chat with others that aren't using Miranda. If it didn't use the same protocol then you couldn't even chat unless there was a man-in-the-middle that was converting protocols as you sent messages. If they didn't use the same protocol then you wouldn't be able to access your buddy list while using Miranda. Right?

Of course there is a basic communication protocol, or multiple forms of it that will all go through the server in practically the same way. But seperate features of AIM will use additions to said protocol, or a different protocol altogether.

I myself think that the non-latest versions of AIM itself are much faster (at least on startups) than Trillian.

Back