• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP erasing and HD Transfer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Battle_Rattle

Registered
Guys im just not sure the "A guide to re-partitioning, re-formatting, and re-installing" thread applies to me and Windows XP. It seems that the thread is more for when one keeps a HD on the same system.

All I want to do is use my old hard drive for a new computer I'm building...

To do that I know I need to erase the HD before I transfer it over to the new build im doing.

How do I erase my HD, and then do a fresh install with a new Windows XP CD onto the same HD?

I actually google'd this question with many search strings but always kept coming up with win98 and win2000 solutions...

HD is 160gb Ultra DMA @ 7200rpm

P.S. I would like to be able to do the XP re-install from an optical drive... I would merely have to arrange this in the BIOS by doing the "first boot" from the appropriate optical drive yes?

Last edited:
pop in your windows XP disk, when it boots up hit enter to install, F8 to agree. Select the Windows partition, hit deleate, then hit L to conferm the delete. it will bring you back to the disk, and say either RAW or unformated, select the disk, either hit N to create a new partition or hit Enter to use the whole partition, then Select NTFS and format the drive.

I should note that im doing this all from memory so i could be allittle off, but the general idea should be right.

infinitevalence said:
pop in your windows XP disk, when it boots up hit enter to install, F8 to agree. Select the Windows partition, hit deleate, then hit L to conferm the delete. it will bring you back to the disk, and say either RAW or unformated, select the disk, either hit N to create a new partition or hit Enter to use the whole partition, then Select NTFS and format the drive.

I should note that im doing this all from memory so i could be allittle off, but the general idea should be right.

Thanks inifinite but I need some clarification...

When you say "pop in your windows XP disk" do you mean the cd for the current XP?.... Or are you jumping ahead to when I have the HD in the new build, at which point Ill have a new and full version XP CD...?

It should be known that I have a "Windows Recovery CD" for the first XP OS (unfortunate consequence of buying from Compaq) and I will have a full version of XP for the new build.

Wait... you dont have a Full copy of Windows XP?? that will make things very difficult. because a recovory disk is not an operating system disk. It wont work on any PC other than the model it came with.

all right im reading this whole thing over....

If you do not yet have a FULL copy of windows, then dont worry about anything.
You dont have to erease the disk before putting it into your new comupter.
Once in the new computer boot off a Full copy of windows and use the steps i outlined.

infinitevalence said:
all right im reading this whole thing over....

If you do not yet have a FULL copy of windows, then dont worry about anything.
You dont have to erease the disk before putting it into your new comupter.
Once in the new computer boot off a Full copy of windows and use the steps i outlined.

Awesome Infinte... Thanks for re-reading :)

Ok so in laymans terms >>>

I'll just take out the hard drive as it is now (full of data and such)... put it in the new system and plop a new and full version of XP in and begin your instructions...

Anyone more certain of those steps than Infinite?

Infinite...thanks m8

Yep that will do it, now if you want to save any of the data, then your in a whole new ball game... DONT do an upgrade install or install over the existing file system, that generaly creates more problems than it fixes.

infinitevalence said:
Yep that will do it, now if you want to save any of the data, then your in a whole new ball game... DONT do an upgrade install or install over the existing file system, that generaly creates more problems than it fixes.

LOL Infinite... I love conversations like this!

To clarify your last statement >>> "DONT do an upgrade install or install over the existing file system" ... With my understanding of the steps there WILL be an "existing file system" as I install the new XP over the top of my old Compaq's XP...

Or am i reading too much into it and you're actually telling me- "down the line do not try for instance, to install windows vista in the same manner and expect to keep my data"

LOL Can you tell im new and a bit nervous?

Uh I think I can try to follow along.

Just directly move your current HDD to new system.
Plug it in.
Put in FULL verison of XP.
It'll ask you to delete previous data on it, so delete.
Then it'll ask you to install XP, so install.
Follow onscreen instructions.
Open IE.
Go to www.OCForums.com.
Go to this thread.
Thank us.

Battle_Rattle said:
LOL Infinite... I love conversations like this!

To clarify your last statement >>> "DONT do an upgrade install or install over the existing file system" ... With my understanding of the steps there WILL be an "existing file system" as I install the new XP over the top of my old Compaq's XP...

Or am i reading too much into it and you're actually telling me- "down the line do not try for instance, to install windows vista in the same manner and expect to keep my data"

LOL Can you tell im new and a bit nervous?

an upgrade install is when you have a previous installation of windows and rather than format the drive you use the existing file system and either copy over the windows installation leaving all your data, or install to a new windows directory.

Dont do thoes, they are EVIL!!!! just format the drive as i described, you will loose all the data on there but its better that way.

darksparkz said:
Uh I think I can try to follow along.

Just directly move your current HDD to new system.
Plug it in.
Put in FULL verison of XP.
It'll ask you to delete previous data on it, so delete.
Then it'll ask you to install XP, so install.
Follow onscreen instructions.
Open IE.
Go to www.OCForums.com.
Go to this thread.
Thank us.

LMAO Yes... THank You!

I love the "go to IE" part.... I'm not a computer idiot in the BAD sense, the kind that thinks the files "are IN the computer!"

Our above conversation just had some confusion beggeting confusion :cool:

Battle_Rattle said:
Awesome Infinte... Thanks for re-reading :)

Ok so in laymans terms >>>

I'll just take out the hard drive as it is now (full of data and such)... put it in the new system and plop a new and full version of XP in and begin your instructions...

Anyone more certain of those steps than Infinite?

Infinite...thanks m8

That will work fine. If you have time to spare, do a normal format of NTFS. A normal NTFS format will take over an hour, but it checks the entire disk for sector errors. If you don't want to wait, do a quick format. A quick format takes 30 seconds plus another 30 for deleting the old partition and making a new one.

So steps

1. Install old HD in new computer
2. Boot off of the XP CD
3. Delete old partition (takes 2 seconds, basically removes access to all your old files, freeing up the whole hard drive)
4. Make a new partition (use the whole drive, or you can make 2 or more partitions).
5. Format the drive with NTFS (either quick or normal).
6. Install XP :)

Back