• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

antivirus / firewall ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mckennaiii

in windows xp [sp2] there is a feature called windows security center. does this program provide antivirus and firewall or is an additional antivirus / firewall program needed?

if an additional program is needed, what's the best one?

Think of Security Center as a helpful reminder for one to use an active firewall and anti-virus protection - it does NOT provide these tools for you.

However, WindowsXP does indeed include a firewall, and if you're using Service Pack 2 - it should be turned on by default. If it is not, Security Center will throw a fit, reminding you ever half hour that you should have a firewall turned on.

Same thing for the Anti-Virus protection. I would recommend AVG Free, because it's free and hasn't let me down, and is not a memory hog like Norton or some other AV's, something I find very important.

The Windows Firewall is probably good enough, but if you're on broadband (DSL or Cable internet access, or a college dorm room), I'd suggest a hardware router.

my isp [adelphia] is offering [free] the freedom internet security package which is suppose to do it all. thought about giving them a try.

i removed norton and downloaded the free package from adelphia and all is well.

Back