• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new Windows zero-day vulnerability (WMF)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did the regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll in my Run box workaroud and all 4 of my LAN PCs should be safer now until an official patch is released. regsvr32 shimgvw.dll will put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

A couple more things that folks can do to protect themselves, in addition to unregistering the shimgvw.dll...
OSNN said:
Do not save, open or preview untrusted image files from email or other sources, or open untrusted folders and network shares in Explorer. Set security level to "High" in Microsoft Internet Explorer to prevent automatic exploitation.

hey at least there gonna be one step closer... to what exactly i dunno but a fix is on its way ...lol

think its possible to ever have a os thats not vulnerable ?? man i hope so .. im tired of hearing about this crap .. (waiting for MRD to show up ) hehehehehe

Then a month later they will release the patch to try and fix what this patch breaks.

gt24 said:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/0d644d5e-7bb3-11da-ab8e-0000779e2340.html

Kinda sensationalistic story... but the jist of it is that Microsoft will not release a patch for this vulnerability before the normal patch release date (which will be January 10th), also known as Patch Tuesday. So, in other words, a fix is comming in exactly a week but until that day comes, be careful.
Good advice :) Exercise caution.

Back