• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmm, I don't have a Boot.INI tab

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

Ok, so I was tweaking my computer endlessly and not really keeping track of the changes. Eventually I got it to boot extremely fast, the loading bar only went by once and then it continued to start up. But when it got to the applying your personal settings screen...it took forever (15 seconds about) Then I used BootVis to tweak some more. It got rid of the lag at the "Applying personal settings" screen but now the loading bar has to go like 4 times in order to continue, Normally a defrag will fix it but it doesn't this time.

Well that's a minor annoyance considering my lappy still boots in like 25 seconds but I know it could be 15 if that damn boot screen would just be like it used to.

My other concern is that my Boot.INI tab in MSCONFIG is not there. I have a TOOLS tab for some odd reason but no, no BOOT.INI tab. Not sure if this was the doing of Boot Vis. Perhaps someone can optimize their PC with boot vis and let me know?

Other wise is there any way to get the boot tab back... or any reason to? But even stranger is the fact that there's no Boot.INI file in my C drive. Now THAT is strange. And it's not affecting my booting up at all.

Someone please try to make some sense of this. Thanks

I'm assuming you're running XP since you mentioned running the BootVis tool, which BTW is incompatible with XP. MS removed the tool from their download site because the tool interferes with the boot optimization routines built into the OS. AFA the Boot.ini tab missing from the Configuration Utility, try booting to the Recovery Console and typing the following commands (hitting ENTER after each)...

Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini (If the Attrib command returns a "File not found", don't bother with the following DEL command.)
DEL C:\boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Exit

... and the Boot.ini is a hidden file located in the root directory. You can also access the Boot.ini by opening System Properties | "Advanced" tab | "Startup and Recovery" --> "Settings" button | System startup --> "Edit" button (this opens the Boot.ini up in Notepad for editing).

Last edited:
Back