• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd HD file probs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickyhoward55

i have a second HD on my system (see sig) that has some hidden folders (recycler etc). is there any need for these folders and there contents? i cant manually delete them and can only see them when i explore the contents of the HD in nero (?????). i ask because during virus scans it takes AGES to get past the files (like an hour). thanks

One of the folders you're probably seeing is the System Volume Information directory, which contains all of the restore points that have been created since the time the OS was installed. The directory can grow quite large, depending on the amount of HDD space allocated to System Restore. You can delete all previous restore points, except for the most recent, by opening the Cleanup Tool (Start | Run | Type cleanmgr, and click OK) | "More Options" tab | System restore --> "Clean up" button.

You can then limit the amount of HDD space allocated by opening System Properties | "System Restore" tab | Drive settings --> "Settings" button. AFA manually deleting the other hidden folders... leave the Recycle Bin alone, and as for the others you'll need to change the permissions of the directories in question so as you (a user with Administrative priveleges) can delete them. You could also log onto the Administrator's account, and delete them that way (as long as you're the Admin.).

Last edited:
Back