• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual core and XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I have a problem with my new system (Gaming rig in sig).

Basically, it won't boot up, it just sits there after the WinXP screen (the blue bar), then goes blank and won't book XP. This happens about 90% of the time. Funny thing is that on occasion it will boot, then it is ROCK SOLID, and absolutely amazing and smooth. Right now its been folding for 48 hours, and I play intensive games on it all the time.

But when it needs to reboot, it won't do it.

I am not sure if this is fixable, but that doesn't matter, since I am going to re-format, I want the system to be perfect.

So, my question is, after installing XP Pro SP2,what should be the first thing to install as far as my system is concerned?

Basically, what is it that i have to install so that the dual-core Opty will be ok? Any special drivers that XP needs? Maybe that is my problem?

And if anyone knows, where can i get the latest bios update and all drivers to go with my board? DFI Ultra-D that is. Since I am reformatting I might as well use the latest drivers for all, especially bios.

There is a windows XP hot fix, but I don't know if it will help you or not. There is more information on it here . I would also make sure you have the latest bios and if you do I would try a cmos reset just to kelp clear things out. Good luck with it.

I am just at a total loss as to what this could be. It hasn't been totally fine since day 1 (about 5 days ago), with freezing occasionally. I found out that both my monitor USB connection, and my keyboard were the culprits. I removed both, and now my system is rock solid and very stable, however like I said, it won't boot most of the time. It only boots on occasion, maybe one out of 20, and thats after screwing around with F8 and safemode and whatnot. However, it does seem random when it does decide to boot.

So, windows hotfix, and the amd dual core driver right? Those two should be installed after first loading XP?

How about other versions of Windows? Isn't there a final 64bit windows out yet? If not, when?

It appears that i do have the latest BIOS so that isn't it. The mobo was shipped with 06/23 bios and that is the latest that is avail on DFI site right now.

The way the computer acts on startup even when it does succeed makes me almost sure this is not a hardware problem but in fact a XP software problem, most likely a driver conflict or perhaps even a trojan/virus (why haven't I checked for that? lol).

Anyhow, keep it coming, and I'll keep on trying. I really wish I didn't have to reformat because I spent 3 days making it perfect, with everything installed and configured as i like, but if I can't figure this out I'll have to.

I would suggest installing linux on it and just seeing if it works. You can even try just booting a livecd so you don't have to install (a full linux install like knoppix that runs off CD). This would be free, and just to test. If the hardware all works, you'll know it's a software issue. On the other hand, if linux acts weird, won't boot, etc., then you'll know you have a hardware issue on your hands and can start diagnosing that.

Also just fall back to the old standard, disconnect everything that's not needed and see if it boots correctly. If it does then you just start hooking things back up one at a time untill it has problems again. Or have you done this already?

Back