• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Troubles with add/remove programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

Hi all. I have this issue with add remove programs, some of the program's icons pop us as the generic file folder icon. I don't know why this is, but I am trying to figure out how to fix the little errors that seem to accumulate with windows, without having to catastrophically reinstall everything. Currently this has happened to:

Adobe reader
Directx SDK update
Omnipage (a letter recognition program for my scanner)

So is there a particular file that handles this, or is it like an individual icon file?
This problem seems to occur, eventually with every windows install that I have had.

Sorry I guess that I should have said I am running Win2k sp4. It wont install.

Thank you, it seems like a very handy program, however it did not work for me. I do know that all of these programs are currently installed, and fully functional.

You could try recreating the cache file. Open the command prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | CD to the %systemroot% (C:\WINNT) directory, and type the following commands (hitting ENTER after each)...

attrib -h shelliconcache
del shelliconcache
exit

... then log off, and log back in. If the icons still don't show correctly, try rebuilding the icons again using Tweak UI.

I did all of that, it still doesn't work. IDK, maybe if I uninstall all those progs it would work, but I am not willing to do that. Thanks for the input though.

Back