• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I cannot update Microsoft AntiSpyware beta!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

My current ver of this prog expired on today! It will not allow me to update the software. I downloaded the newest ver from M$, but when I run the update, the program doesn't start. Also I tried removing it, then reinstalling, and still nothing. I checked M$'s lil online help forum CRAP, but still nothing. IDK what to do.

It just keeps telling me that it expired today, not terribly helpful.

Hmm, so I tried everything mentioned on M$'s lil help forums, none of it worked.
The windows install cleaner.
Uninstalling rebooting, reinstalling.
Trying the upgrade install.
The date, and time settings were already correct.

So finally I manually searched throughout the registry via regedit for the phrases
C:\Winnt\Program files\Microsoft Antispyware
Spyware

With those two phrases I found 31 keys that related to MSAS, I backed them all up, and deleted them, (it was already uninstalled at this point.) Then I rebooted, and reinstalled, still the same error.

This program has been great for spyware detection, but honestly I don't know what the hell M$ has done with it. From what I understand they basically just bought it from Giant, and then tweaked it. Apparently they can mess even that up.

Ok, so I finally fixed it. These are the steps that I went through in the hopes that it will help someone else, but honestly I just tried updating my sisters comp, and still got the same message, so don't listen me, IDK what I'm doing :D

Uninstalled/reinstalled about three times, with some rebooting thrown in for good measure.

Went throught the registry as posted above, and deleted those 31 keys. Reinstalled, rebooted

Ran the windows install cleanup tool, to thoroughly remove MSAS.

Made sure that RPC, and COM+ services were enabled, under 'services.msc'

Enabled the "Enable COM Internet services on this computer" check box, under 'default properites' using dcomcnfg from the run dialog box. Rebooted.

Then finally realized to disable the active protection of my AVG free Anitivirus software, and what do ya know, it installed!

So the moral of the story is, always disable AV software, when installing anything worthwhile!

Back