• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2k Does not have the Dcom service?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

While trying to upgrade Microsoft anti spyware beta. this site: http://castlecops.com/postitle120958-0-0-.html says to start the Dcom service.

I cannot start this service because it does not exist on my machine. I am running win2k sp4. I also had this problem on a customers machine a while ago (that was running winxp sp2.) The problem then was that I could not open her security center without it. It was not even listed in the services.msc though. I am fairly certain that the DCom sevice is not unique to xp, and I want to get M$AS to install properly.

So how can I add services to windows, or repair this one, without having to catastrophically reinstall anything? I have been very curious about adding services to windows for a while now.

Oh I forgot, I also tried the "Net start Dcomlaunch" from the command prompt, but it gave me error 2185, I think, it said that there is no such service? IDK I am trying to learn as much as possible about windows, without pulling out too much hair...I like my hair...

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Microsoft | OLE

Check to make sure the EnableDCOM String value is set to Y. If it was set to N and you edited the value, you'll need to reboot for the change to take effect. AFA how to add a Service, check out this article over at PCstats...

Creating your own services
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1759&page=8 ...the article continues on page 9.

You could also try running the DCOM configuration utility by typing dcomcnfg in the Run box.

Last edited:
I don't know what your problem is, but I've installed Windows Defender on 2k without a problem.

Odd. I checked in the registry keys that you mentioned. The string exists, and was already set to Y. dcomcnfg does open a window that seems to be correct (I have never worked with it before.) The service is still not listed under services.msc.

I read throught that webpage, and it seems very helpful, only should I add the svchost -k (I think that it was) as a service, or might that interfere somehow? I am not sure which file the Dcom service is, I think it is the svchost. I do not know which switches to use with it. I also checked the "Enable COM services on this computer" box. Still nothing. Is DcomLaunch seperate from Dcom itself?

This was the batch file posted by the member of the forum I went to:

Net start DcomLaunch
cd \
IF EXIST C:\Program Files\Microsoft Antispyware\ .(
cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Antispyware\ .
) ELSE (
cd C:\Program Files\GIANT Company Software\GIANT AntiSpyware\.
)
REM use the following line if you have XP Home or Win 2000 and have downloaded pskill
pskill gcasServ.exe
gcasDTserv.exe -Embedding
gcasServ.exe
GiantAntiSpywareMain.exe
exit

When I run "Net start Dcomlaunch" from the command prompt it says:
"The service name is invalid, type NET HELPMSG 2185 for more information"

Last edited:
I should've been more specific about Dcomcnfg.exe. This applies to XP, and should also work with W2K...

Run Dcomcnfg.exe from the Run box like you did previously, and expand the following branch...

Console Root --> Component Services | Open the "Computers" folder | Right-click My Computer --> "Properties" | "Default Properties" tab

If you don't see the "Default properties" tab, you may have to type the computer name in the "Description" field of the "General" tab. Right-click the computer name, and then click "Properties". Click to select the "Enable Distributed COM on this Computer" check box, then restart for the changes to take effect.

Dcom server is still not listed as a process. I was finally able to get MSAS to re-install, but I have not been able to reproduce those results on any other comp.

Back