• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing XP on a laptop.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RP Racing

Friend has a pair of older IBM Thinkpad 390x's with 450mhz PIII's running 98SE on them. Wants to put XP on them. He ran teh XP compatibility program on them and it said something about "thinkcentre" and some other thing not being compatible with XP. Has anyone here ever put XP on an older Thinkpad laptop and not have issues? I know the BIOS needs to be updated and some drivers need to be installed. I already tried IBM but got a canned response.

It is probably an issue with the factory installed IBM software. If you do a clean install, it would likely wipe all of that stuff out, and you will *probably* be OK...

Was any Hardware listed as "non-compatible"?

:cool:

find the model on IBM's web sitee and see if they have any XP drivers for things like network cards, if not check the makers site for xp drivers - i would suggest he has MORE then 256mb, possibly even 512mb of ram in that lpaotp if he wants to run XP on it otherwise it will crawlllllllllllllll

He already has a 256 and a 128 stick in each. Havent been over in a week so I have to double check teh compatibility program results.

Back