• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing WinXP On SATA Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

So, I know that I need to press F6 and tell windows to install from my floppy, BUT I have the windows xp sp2 cd and I heard that you don't need to install the SATA drivers with this version. Is this true? On the cd it says may 2004, so I'm not too sure... Also, my mobo only came with a cd, does this mean that I have to make my own floppy, or does this mean that I can choose to install these drivers from the cd instead of the floppy?

F6 installs from a floppy.... BUT ...
If your just installing xp on a sata hdd, then just go into bios and enable the sata - in my bios sata is not enabled by default - only the ata ide's -

That should be all you have to do - plug up the sata hdd and enable it boot options with whatever bios you have

now if you want 2 sata in raid 0 mode, then you would take cd that came with mb and it will have an option to create a raid driver floppy.

then F6 will give you a screen to install raid drivers

~RD

**** EDIT
I was wrong - Its NVRAID thats not enabled in mine
it detected the sata hdds by default in mine

try to just plug up the 1 sata hdd at first to install xp on
then when you add hdds, mine has a section where i can move hdd's up and down in order of boot

see if that helps

Last edited:
you can streamline the sp2 xp disc and include the sata drivers to install automatically. ive seen a post somewhere, i think it was on here. try the search key or google.

Back