• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

“Sorry, I don’t work here.”

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FeralCom

About 10 years ago there were 2 different types of people I could look at and tell you their occupation. The first was guys who worked with computers and the other was women who were strippers. Today the IT guys look like every other Joe and 12 year-old girls dress like strippers so that no longer holds.

There is nothing about me visually that screams “computer geek”. I don’t even own a cell phone, red or blue polo shirt and my pocket protectors have been retired for at least 10 years. However, for some odd reason, people assume I work at Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, etc.

Last Thursday I decided to spend some gift certificates I received for Christmas. Needing or wanting nothing in particular and dressed in a black button-up with jeans, I started at Best Buy to just shop around. I was there a total of 15 minutes before I ran out screaming due to the hounding of other Best Buy customers. “Can you help me?” “Will this controller work with XP?” “Is this the video card I need?” These requests came from everywhere and I couldn’t get a moment of peace to shop for myself. Sometimes “Sorry, I don’t work here bought me a minute or two. Other times it didn’t matter. The moment of exile came when a line began to form.

Next stop was Comp USA (conveniently across the street). Here things were worse and I probably didn’t last 10 minutes before I left. However, this time when leaving the store I noticed no less than 6 red-shirt wearing employees smoking in a huddle just outside the door.

Now, I realize the stores are still crowded with holiday shopping and it usually isn’t this bad. However, it is no exaggeration to say that there has not been a single time I have shopped at one of the stores without having another customer request me for assistance. It may also seem a little “selfish” of me to have such a bad attitude. It might not be a good defense, but I happily help people with their computer questions 10 hours a day at my job. Is it so unreasonable to expect some “me time”?

So my new saying is “I don’t shop here”. It’s bad enough that I have to deal with figuring out rebates, overpriced items and shelves where ¼ of the items have zero price information. I’m not going to be an unpaid member of their sales staff. Want me back? Hire more and competent employees or find out a way to give me a discount for acting as one.

Ill end with a tip for those who shop or know others that do at these places and need help. Find the most expensive item on the sales floor (A $4,000 plasma TV works well) and start playing with the controls. If it has audio, crank it all the way up. You will have a sales rep in your face less than 30 seconds. You can then lead them to the area you needed them.

yeah, was it tucked in too? if you're a middle aged male in a buttondown shirt (tucked in) i could see someone mistaking you for a manager of some sort. one solution would be to instead dress like this
char_lumberjack%5B1%5D.jpg

i would say don't tuck your shirt in, or better yet wear a t-shirt.

hahahhahah!!!

that guy looks like an action figure or one of those YMCA singer guys.

OP, I know what you mean... and instead of starting a new thread for my own rant, I'll just plug mine in right here.

Working in the retail industry does not suck by default, it is the customers who make it so.

Let me explain, as I am a 'customer' in a retail store at times too. I work at Hastings (books/movies/music, used & new, video rental, coffee shop). There are stupid customers who will come in looking for a CD, but waste your time and theirs because they want to know if the artist is in Rock/Pop or another section, and you have to do a search in the crappy computer system to find the artist. I totally wish I had another job lined up so I could blow up on people. 'Uh dumbass, did you look in both places in the C's before you asked me?' Is what I'd LOVE to say.

Then theres the morons that make you look for several different books and cd's, pick up a few of the many that you have in stock that they came in looking for, and then SIT THEM DOWN SOMEWHERE ELSE AND NOT BUY ANYTHING. I want to ask them if they intend on buying anything at all, or else just don't waste my time.

Yes, I did just get off work.

One thing's for sure though, working in retail has made me an A+ customer at other stores though, I have great sympathy for the workers.

I find it unfair that a lot of people say how much it sucks to work in retail, or how they get crappy customer service when they go in. I think the people who complain about bad service need to work a few days in the industry. I'll bust my *** all day long making sure people find what they need, all the while stocking in between, and someone will STILL treat me like **** if I can't find something! A retail job would be awesome, (I mean c'mon, who doesn't love books/music/movies), if people would be smarter/sympathetic to the fact that the workers get treated like crap from customers too.

The black shirt was not tucked and had 2-3 buttons undone (T-shirt underneath of course). Sadly, I looked much like the picture if you substitute the red shirts for black and remove the hat, suspenders and gloves.

Besides, Best Buy Employees wear blue polos or the “Geek” uniform. Comp USA and Circuit City employees wear red. Honestly, I don’t think it matters what I wear.

mdameron said:
Working in the retail industry does not suck by default, it is the customers who make it so.

haha! i forget what french newspaper/mag printed that the north american consumer is a moron. thats why there are so many service based businesses.

lol I'm an Asian....as my avatar shows and anytime I'm picking up Chinese (I just call it food..lol) , I'll get people who ask me what's in the Happy Family meal or how the Chow Mein is cooked or something stupid like that.....

People can be stupid. During my long, hippie-hair days as a teenager I would have total strangers, whom I'd never seen before at all, stop me on the street and ask me if I would sell them some drugs. It happened at least once every three weeks (I was keeping track). I have never used drugs in my life, not even once. Soon as I cut my hair it stopped happening.

wandl said:
lol I'm an Asian....as my avatar shows and anytime I'm picking up Chinese (I just call it food..lol) , I'll get people who ask me what's in the Happy Family meal or how the Chow Mein is cooked or something stupid like that.....

eobard said:
People can be stupid. During my long, hippie-hair days as a teenager I would have total strangers, whom I'd never seen before at all, stop me on the street and ask me if I would sell them some drugs. It happened at least once every three weeks (I was keeping track). I have never used drugs in my life, not even once. Soon as I cut my hair it stopped happening.

HUGE LOL at both of these, thats some of the funniest stuff I have ever heard!

Ha!

Nice thread.

My problem kind of fits in, but it's not a terrible one to suffer through. I'm part of the research staff at Montana State University, but only have an undergraduate degree. I have a grant for a full year's research before starting my doctorate next fall. I started at the beginning of last summer, so I got my choice of offices.

When all the new grad students came in, they noticed that I have a good office, and basically do things on my own time. No classes, no reviews, no busy work, etc. Because of that, all the grad students approach me like I'm a prof, asking things about other faculty and staff, asking about how things work, etc.

I've made it this far without telling anyone that I know just as little as they do...

This thread has veered out of discussing vendors (partly my fault I admit). So let's bring our complaining back to that or I'll nudge this into GD.

eobard said:
This thread has veered out of discussing vendors (partly my fault I admit). So let's bring our complaining back to that or I'll nudge this into GD.

:thup:

IRL I have very little patience. I am very curt when it comes to ignorant(not knowing) humans.

I have only worked in retail twice in my life. Once back in the early 80's. I got fired from a hot dog stand. It was called Der Wienerschnitzel.
Before school everyday I would clean the walks off. It seemed like I was a road map. 4 times a day I would be asked how to get somewhere. After so many times saying hey, I am a kid, how do I know driving directions? Well that job only lasted 2 checks. Guess someone found their way back from the "directions" I gave them.

Then a few years ago, I tried I once more. I worked at Burger King for a total of 6 hours. I guess threatening to deep frying a co-workers face does not fly well. Actually I was called old and and crippled. Well he did not know I have trouble walking I guess. He found out that some folks are real mean... Instead of being fired I mentioned the disability act and bla bla bla... So we agreed on a mutual me quitting. Anyone who worked there that I run into tell me I should of pounded him. He was a jerk.

I know for a fact I cannot do retail or any service related in open public arenas. I wanted to give a little history on how well I do in public.

My wife who runs a dept in retail, is very good at her job. Me I do not tolerate anyone coming up to me all smug and saying. "Scu'ze me", that grinds on my inner core.

Now last winter I was shopping with my wife at a local grocery store. Well wife and I was looking at cheeses and I was telling her how most cheap cheese are water based and they not really cheese. A lady, who I assume her name started with a B. Came up and very rudely mentioned my trigger word('scuze me). Then with a face that I cannot put to words( the reason for her first name being 'B") told me to tell her where french bread was. I am being kind here, since this is a g rated forum.
Well a real employee of the store was not further then 10 feet from us. He was wearing the right colors and even had the name tag. (He even told me good job!! Guess it is his job to take comments/expressions like that.) After she stomped off in disgust of course. Guess she did not like being told were to look. It was where most upright primate use for sitting. I did not tell her "I do not work here you f'n idiot". If she would of asked politely I would of gladly directed her to the employee or tell her to turn around. "It is right behind you 3 feet away." I was wearing a heavy winter coat during the asking. So was the wife.

At my wifes work, most of her co-workers know who I am . Heck even some of the customers know me. I have been approached since I will chat it up with some of her co-workers and some customers. If Someone sees me talking to one of the employees. They assume I guess, I work there and am up for a 'friendly verbal assault'. At the least being looked down on as a trained monkey who should know all answers even if I really don't care. I have had many complaints from my words to the store manager. She tells them I do not work there. Some even went to the regional manager to gripe. I guess no one believes the staff manning the floors are not robots and cannot carry a quick passing conversation of greeting and friendships with a non-employee(actually a customer).

I do not do very well to rude questions. Sometimes if it is polite. I might tell them, "hey I am shopping here to maybe it is over <insert dept here>".

I feel most folks will gravitate to whom they feel has brains or knows what is going on. If you shop smart, they will sense that, and assume your the retail encyclopedia.

If approached politely I will answer anyones question. I enjoy helping folks as best I can. I have helped many folks out that afterwards told them I do not work here. I get approached in many stores, as long as my tattoos are not showing. I still don't get, getting asked questions in Radio Shack. :shrug:

Last edited:
wandl said:
....anytime I'm picking up Chinese (I just call it food..lol).......

that is freaking funny ...

and to the thread starter..... maybe try throwing on a baseball cap or beenie..

maybe get a special shopping shirt made that says " I dont work here"..

Xtreme Barton said:
maybe get a special shopping shirt made that says " I dont work here"..

How about one that says " I charge $20 to answer a question, cash only" :D
You would be surprised to learn that shoppers are quite savvy these days. Gone are the days when avg consumer= clueless.

It is the sales assistants at these retail stores who are not doing their job. I was plesantly surprised when I saw an elderly gentleman (who we assume to be non-techy) school a sales rep (who clearly knew nothing) about wireless technology. He was shopping for routers. Also good to watch was a mom learn the ins and outs of Optical drives from her 12 yr old kid. And yes,later she did the talking with the sales rep. :)

The Frys in Indy are well staffed with people who know absolutely nothing. This senior sales rep was trying to sell me a $3000 computer with two 6800GTX'es! I could see he was a it irritated when I politely corrected him.

All these retail stores better train their staff or people would stop shopping there.

Super Nade said:
The Frys in Indy are well staffed with people who know absolutely nothing.

S_N, the Fry's in Tempe, Las Vegas, and one in Southern Ca, are just as bad. (These are the only ones I've been to, and they ALL are full of ID10T employees. There is ONE smart guy at the Tempe store!)

If I ever get anything there, I do my research well in advance of arriving there, and I RARELY buy electronic equipment there.

steve

Back