• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crash16

i want to take my music i got on my cumputer and put it on a DVD so i can listen to it on my home theater system...in nero the dvd audio is greyed out. is there a way to do this in nero? or do i need a different program?

i use nero, nero has an option on 6.6 version where you pick the media(cd/dvd).

click dvd and then options open up on the type of dvd your are going to burn(data/audio/iso, etc.).

i got nero 5...and the audio option is greyed out..so i just did a data and burned the music and my dvd player come up with disk error..so i used nero express which let me choose mp3 disk for dvd burned it but my dvd player is still unable to read the disk...says it can playback mp3... :/

Hey crash16
after reading your posts I believe you might need some clarification on DVD Audio.
www.idvd.ca/dvd-definitions-glossary.htm
Launched in mid-2000, this audio-only storage format similar to CD-Audio, however offers higher quality sound from 16, 20 and 24-bit samples at a variety of sampling rates from 44.1 to 192KHz, compared to 16 bits and 44.1KHz for CDs. DVD-Audio can also contain music videos and graphics.
So in a nutshell, DVD-Audio is of higher quality than CD audio and can hold music recorded upto 6 channels.

According to what you posted you are trying to put ripped music (most likely from a CD) onto a DVD and trying to pass it off as DVD-Audio. This unfortunately is a waste of a blank DVD and offers no quality increase of audio what so ever as you cannot increase the quality of a song that was originally recorded at a lower level. (ie since the extra detail of a cd song that is needed for it to become of DVD-Audio quality was never recorded, you cannot simply 'magically', out of thin air, add in this extra detail yourself).

Also, I noticed that you tried to burn mp3's onto a DVD disk. This unfortunately also will not convert the songs into DVD-Audio, and all that you would have accomplished with this is a DVD with mp3's on it. To my knowledge, there are few (if any) dvd players out there which support the playback of mp3's from dvds. When your dvd player states that you can play mp3's, it means that it can play mp3's burnt onto a normal CD.

So in conclusion, my advice to you is to first check out if your DVD player has the capability to play DVD-Audio (as in it says it can play DVD-Audio as this is a separate format which is only supported by more of the higher end dvd players). If it does, then you could go out and purchase specific DVD-Audio disks. Second, if you want to play music on your hometheater system, you can just burn a normal audio CD, or if your dvd player supports mp3 playback, you could burn an mp3 CD.

Side Note
- mp3's are of lesser quality than original CD-Audio as mp3's are compressed audio files.
- if you burn an mp3 as CD-Audio, you will not regain the original quality of CD-Audio, as again you cannot (same as CD-Audio to DVD-Audio) simply 'magically', out of thin air, add in extra detail yourself.

If you need any more help, feel free to PM me or post again as I will check back later.

Raven

thanks for the info raven. i never had any issues burning to dvd and playing them but it sure helps to know what problems may come up.

I appologize for omitting this in my first post, but if you still do wish to burn a DVD-Audio disk, then you may use nero as Beginner stated or you can try out some of the other software I will list below. I am just warning you that I have not personally tried burning a DVD-Audio disk myself, so I cannot offer any feedback about the products, but if you are willing to take a look at them (you might even learn something new), they are as follows:

Ulead Trial
Nero 7 Trial
Audio DVD Creator

I also just want to correct myself as before I might have given the impression that you could only put a very limited number of songs on an Audio-DVD (therefore making a DVD-Audio disk a waste of media), but doing a bit of research, mainly from the Audio DVD Creator site (just reading it) it seems that you can put around 4 to 5 disks of CD audio onto one DVD-Audio disk. Even though the sound quality does not change when burning CD-Audio to DVD-Audio, you can though save room by making one DVD-Audio disk out of every few CD's.
I hope that clears a bit up.

If when you are doing your research, feel free to post any facts or interesting things you come across, as I am always interested (as im sure many other users are as well).

Back