• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg, policy change on RMAs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

I ordered a "DFI NF4 LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR - Retail" as part of an 8/11/2005 order. The board has developed voltage control problems for both the CPU and memory. Upon trying to get an automatically generated RMA number I find they don't now allow me to do this and indicate I must now contact the manufacturer.

I don't remember this to be the policy when I purchased the board (but could of course be mistaken) and have recently RMAed a problematic board previously purchased from you nearly a year ago.

Two reasons I've done business with Newegg as my almost automatic seller for seveal years now have been price and service. If they now have a new policy as this experience suggests, they no longer provide service from my perspective. This is a drastic change in policy and will result in my re-evaluation (and must likely rejection) of Newegg as my preferred seller. :shrug:

how are you doing the auto rma?
when i googled from rma and got to a page on newegg, it wouldnt let me do it!
but when i did it from "my account"
it did~!

im wondering about newegg too. each experience ive had with them is less satisfying than the last, but no dealbreakers yet. i would whine about the order i placed thursday, and the stuff not even being picked or shipped yet, but its the time of year for slowdowns *shrug* if the order isnt picked by the end of tomarrow, then i might have justi-fyable reason to whine about it. usually my orders were picked and in the shipping department in a next-day sort of fashion, which made sense. tis the season, i suppose...

EDIT: (an hour and a half later)
looks like the order has been picked and is on the move to shipping.
i dont have to do any whining about it at all then. yay.

Last edited:
d94,
Went to Newegg.com, then my account and found the correct invoice. Selected the "Return for Replacement Item" and it tells me

"This item is not eligible for an online RMA. If the product is warranted by the manufacturer, please contact them directly for more information. You may review Newegg.com's warranty guidelines or contact us if you have any questions."

orionlion82,
As you note this time of year, who knows. They've always been very prompt and delivery good for me. But if I've got to start dealing with manufacturers separately then I'm outa there.

Hopefully a glitch in their system?? :argue:

Last edited:
Dear deeppow,

First I'd like to express that there has been no new policies implemented. Some items purchased can't be RMAed through your account at Newegg.com, and must be created through a Newegg Customer Service Representative. Some reasons for this could be:

Outside of Warranty Period through us
Item is marked as "Warranted Through Product Manufacturer Only"
It came with a free combo item

And many others, before you go directly to the manufacturer for your RMA needs I would suggest contacting us to get the full details. We now offer something called Live Chat! You can speak to someone over chat instead of waiting in the long line of Holiday callers to our Call Center.

If you cant get through I am always here to help, simply PM me with your sales order number and I can get you more information.

Hopefully this clears up any problems you may have been having.

Thanks for your Post,

Aaron Aragonez
Newegg Customer Support

deeppow said:
I ordered a "DFI NF4 LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR - Retail" as part of an 8/11/2005 order. The board has developed voltage control problems for both the CPU and memory. Upon trying to get an automatically generated RMA number I find they don't now allow me to do this and indicate I must now contact the manufacturer.

I don't remember this to be the policy when I purchased the board (but could of course be mistaken) and have recently RMAed a problematic board previously purchased from you nearly a year ago.

Two reasons I've done business with Newegg as my almost automatic seller for seveal years now have been price and service. If they now have a new policy as this experience suggests, they no longer provide service from my perspective. This is a drastic change in policy and will result in my re-evaluation (and must likely rejection) of Newegg as my preferred seller. :shrug:

Newegg Support said:
Dear deeppow,

First I'd like to express that there has been no new policies implemented. Some items purchased can't be RMAed through your account at Newegg.com, and must be created through a Newegg Customer Service Representative. Some reasons for this could be:

And many others, before you go directly to the manufacturer for your RMA needs I would suggest contacting us to get the full details. We now offer something called Live Chat! You can speak to someone over chat instead of waiting in the long line of Holiday callers to our Call Center.

If you cant get through I am always here to help, simply PM me with your sales order number and I can get you more information.

Thanks for your Post,

Aaron Aragonez
Newegg Customer Support
always nice to see the egg showin some love :cool:

You have a PM
Newegg Support said:
Dear deeppow,

Thanks for your Post,

Aaron Aragonez
Newegg Customer Support

I have an RMA # in hand thanks to Newegg's support here at OCforums. I still can't make their on-line RMA process work, just tried it again. Any item I check (haven't tried them all) isn't allowed a RMA, says to contact manufacturer. Something appears to be Gerf***kun-upun on their site for me.

Anyway, thanks again to their support here!! :santa:

Last edited:
When posting this thread initially, I also sent an email to Newegg's costumer service. Basically the email was the same as my initial post with some slight verbage changes.

I just received a reply from Newegg's costumer service as follows:

"Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please note that this item is only warranted through the manufacture. We need you to first contact them for assistance. If they are not able to help you out, ask them to provide you with a reference number. Contact us with the reference number and we will then provide you with further options. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience and patronage regarding this matter.

<http://www.newegg.com/app/contactmanufacturer.asp>

For more answers or information please visit our FAQ's page < http:www.newegg.com/app/faq.asp>

Kindest Regards,

XXXX XXXXX
Customer Service Representative
"

I see no point in giving the rep's name here.

Not exactly consistent between the support here and what they say via another communication avenue! While I do have an RMA # I'm not sure I have a warm fuzzy about their policy yet. :bang head

Without delving into all the details of the OP ...

I love NewEgg as much as the next guy and think they are one of, if not the, best online retailer for PC parts around. However, I have dealt with their RMA department on 3 seperate occasions and although everything was always sorted in the end, it was one of the most painful RMA processes I have ever encountered and usually requires demanding a supervisor to get anything handled properly.

Hello deeppow and thread readers,

Yes, contacting the manufacture is the first step when dealing with an RMA for high priced items or items of which the manufacturer requires approval from their company before you can return it to owners.

However, I have the ability to get approval over such requirements, depending on the situation. So in the event you, or anyone else reading this post, encounters a Newegg Rep asking you to contact the manufacturer first, you can definitely contact me and I can look into the matter and see whether or not we can help you out. We cannot issue an RMA for all items, again, it depends on the situation.

Thank you for your time,

Aaron Aragonez
Neweegg Customer Support

deeppow said:
When posting this thread initially, I also sent an email to Newegg's costumer service. Basically the email was the same as my initial post with some slight verbage changes.

I just received a reply from Newegg's costumer service as follows:

"Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please note that this item is only warranted through the manufacture. We need you to first contact them for assistance. If they are not able to help you out, ask them to provide you with a reference number. Contact us with the reference number and we will then provide you with further options. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience and patronage regarding this matter.

<http://www.newegg.com/app/contactmanufacturer.asp>

For more answers or information please visit our FAQ's page < http:www.newegg.com/app/faq.asp>

Kindest Regards,

XXXX XXXXX
Customer Service Representative
"

I see no point in giving the rep's name here.

Not exactly consistent between the support here and what they say via another communication avenue! While I do have an RMA # I'm not sure I have a warm fuzzy about their policy yet. :bang head

Newegg RMA can be a little tedious, but if you call 'em up they get things sorted quickly. I once ordered a "non refundable" X800Pro VIVO, it turns out they were mislabled and were just normal X800Pros. After some explanations, I was able to refund it and they even gave me $10 credit to cover shipping.

There isn't a single company out there I have dealt with with a better overall RMA experience than Newegg. I'm sure abberations happen but if you ask me for peace of mind don't bother with almost everyone else out there unless you have to.

New release hardware pricing is a completely different story @ Newegg as we all know.

^ i completely agree. i had the issue where i couldnt rma online, but a quick call to customer service got me an rma number on the spot. great service. no complaints.

Glad to see newegg taking care of its customers... I did just spend over $500.00 there... So I guess its a bit assuring in case I have something go wrong... like my 7800gt or my Ultra-d...

My RMA arrived to Newegg with no problems. Unfortunately I just received an email from them stating they no long carry the DFI nF4 SLI-DR and refunding my money. Their web site says otherwise.

Anyone have a clue what is going on? Is this the twilight zone? Come on now guys, be honest. :shrug:

scoobydoo said:
ygpm Newegg Support;)

Humm, me or Newegg support? I don't see one so I assume your comment was to them.

This'll probably make sense with more info but for now it is a twilight zone experience. How can something your would think is so simple and straight forward become so "unusual"?

I've only had to RMA to NewEgg once and it was a bad experience to say the least.

I ordered a new burner and instead received a used burner. I could tell because it had the marks all alongside the drive where it had been mounted in someone's PC. When I tried to RMA it, they asked if anything was wrong with it. I told them "Yes, it's used." Well after the 3rd phone call and having them refuse to RMA it, I sat it out and thought about it for a few days.

Then I called back and demanded a supervisor. It took me about 20m of debating with the supervisor but finally he agreed to an exchange with no RMA charge. OK, so I would have no burner for another week. I waited and about a week after they received it, still no burner and no word. I called them and was told they no longer carried that burner. grrrrr I explained my situation and after some researching, the CSR found the info and said I would be issued a credit back to my card. It took nearly 2 weeks to receive my credit.

Anyway, I still love NewEgg despite the recent price increases and switch to UPS (UPS is fine for me, it's DHL I hate) .. but I truly hope I never have to RMA anything again.

Back